Newbie Gathering Info

Greetings from Canada!

I'm brand new to the site but have been cruising it like crazy the past couple of days doing my homework. Awesome site! Looks like a great community. However, I wanted to put out a couple of questions to see if people are willing to chime in on their suggestions as I look at making some mods to the 2002 XR650L I just picked up. Sort of consolidating answers from the thousands of previous posts for those who may find themselves in a similar situation with a newly purchased stock bike...

(1) Rear tire (heck, feel free to discuss the front one as well) - needs replacing. I will spend most of my time on the road and on dirt roads (maybe 80/20 at the most)...No serious motor crossing). A few have made the short list...possibly Distanzia, Gripster, Trailmax...Suggestions? Sizes? Please feel free to chime in on the front tire as well.

(2) Anyone know if it is possible to get a longer seat so my honey and I have a little more leg room. I'm 6'2" and a few extra inches on the seat would make long rides a lot more comfortable for the both of us. Perhaps something that would continue to the end of the tool bag (which I would remove of course...) Any suggestions? Price?

(3) Best windscreen for the XR650L? I've seen a few mentioned. I know about the one from JC Whitney. Is that the ONE?

(4) Best rear rack. Something of a descent size and strength. I've looked at happy-trail and XR Only. Happy-trail rack looks good but I'm considering a corbin and their website says they don't go together...The XR Only one looks like it will be to close to the rear of the seat if my wife is riding with me.(Remember, I want a longer seat...) Any other ones out there worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,

Daryl

Hi and welcome!

I can help you with the windshield part!!

I have a spitfire s-06 windshield on my 650L and I love it! Search on google and you'll find plenty. Here are some pics

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=8033

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=18607

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=8034

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=18609

Its very fast to remove, only 2 allen screws. It isnt bothering me at all even in tight stuff! I wouldnt ride highway speeds without it now!! :applause:

Xr650LMartin,

Sept Iles? Been there many times...nice place. Great area for DS riding.

Thanks for the suggestion. I knew that Spitfire made one that worked as well but didn't know the model number. Looks like a pretty good fit too!

Also noticed the 4.7 Clarke. I'm also debating that purchase but wasn't sure how difficult it is to install. What's the deal on it? Pros/Cons? Easy to install? Do you know if it works with a Corbin seat?

Thanks again! Hope to hear from some more folks as well.

Daryl

I have no idea on the longer seat, but i do have an option for that.

I have a promoto billet rack on my "L", it is the same as the XRsonly one, or so i am told anyhow. It fits nearly flush with the back of the stock seat.

I took a piece of 1/4" plywood cut it to cover the rack, and about 4 inches over the seat going forward. Then I ran some bolts through it that line up with the rack and and put a 2" thick piece of seat foam on it with a small lip on the back (like a stepper seat-sorta). Then covered it with some black naugahyde from the fabric store. Now on the rare occasion that the prettier half wants to ride, i put that on my rack, and secure it with 4 lockwashers & wingnuts, and off we go.

It doesnt support her entirely on the rack, as part of it is stepped up to keep her pushed forward, and she is actually sitting about half on the seat, and half on this little extension.

I do not have a picture of the little pad i concocted, but here is the link to a picture of the rack. ---> Pic

The front part starts just about over the "N" in the Honda logo on the seat, and the back of her butt is just above the turn signal,

I dunno if that makes sense without a picture, or if it will work for you, but it works on my bike for the occasional rider, and is about a 45second job to take off when your done with it.

HappyCurmudgeon,

Thanks for the ideas...I may have to try that one for the seat. I am going to go for the 4.7 Clarke tank.

Now I need a new set of tires...particularly the rear! What sizes work on the rear? How big can you go without problems?

Still looking for a good rack as well. Something of a descent size.

HappyCurmudgeon,

Still looking for a good rack as well. Something of a descent size.

Wow it is tough not to say something right about now...

*cough*

as far as the tires go... I went with Dunlop 606's on my bike, same size as stock so i cannot verify how big a tire will fit. I hear Pirelli MT-21's are good too, and several people have reported using a larger Teraflex (a 140 i think?).

Keep in mind that new knobbies will raise the seat height. The 606's combined with a lowering link still raised my seat height just over 1/2". If that is an issue for you then a larger tire might not be your best choice.

someone should chime in about the tire size, it comes up rather often.

I walked right into that one...nicely done!

I was thinking that the 606s or MT21s would be a little too "dirt" for the majority of riding I will be doing. We're moving to a small town and I will be using the bike mostly to get back and forth to work (on pavement)...with the occasional diversion off road, and lots of back road riding.

I'm thinking perhaps the Kenda 270s. They are discussed a lot on this forum. Anyone else got another suggestion? I'm even considering just ordering a rear Dunlop Trailmax and keep the stock Dunlop 850A that I have in the front. But, I normally like to ride the same rubber and tread f/r. Maybe that's a little too cautious. I can get a front and rear kenda for essentially the price of any other rear tire...by itself. Help sway me one way or the other. Maybe 80/20 on/off riding at the most? What tire would be the best. And...HOW BIG!!! I've found one guy who used a 5.10 Kenda 270 on the rear. Anyone else?

Thanks for the info. Please keep it coming!

Later...

*cough*

as far as the tires go... I went with Dunlop 606's on my bike, same size as stock so i cannot verify how big a tire will fit. I hear Pirelli MT-21's are good too, and several people have reported using a larger Teraflex (a 140 i think?).

Keep in mind that new knobbies will raise the seat height. The 606's combined with a lowering link still raised my seat height just over 1/2". If that is an issue for you then a larger tire might not be your best choice.

someone should chime in about the tire size, it comes up rather often.

How are "stock size" tires taller than stock size tires?

How are "stock size" tires taller than stock size tires?

the tire size itself is the same, but the knobs are taller. :excuseme:

I dunno, i measured the seat height, installed the lowering link and the new tires, and when i measured the seat height again, it went up .6" Maybe i put the lowering link on upside down? :bonk:

I'm about 6' tall, so the height isnt as big an issue for me as it is for some. the overall effect was about the same as stock.

the tire size itself is the same, but the knobs are taller. :excuseme:

I dunno, i measured the seat height, installed the lowering link and the new tires, and when i measured the seat height again, it went up .6" Maybe i put the lowering link on upside down? :bonk:

I'm about 6' tall, so the height isnt as big an issue for me as it is for some. the overall effect was about the same as stock.

I think there might have been a measurement error. Doesn't a lowering link lower seat height by 2"? That would make the tire 2-5/8" taller :bonk: talk about a stinkbug stance. :busted:

I think there might have been a measurement error. Doesn't a lowering link lower seat height by 2"? That would make the tire 2-5/8" taller :bonk: talk about a stinkbug stance. :excuseme:

It's possible, there did seem to be a few Labatt Ices involved. :busted:

However, the sphincterometer says the ride height is about the same?

I dont know how much the link lowers on it's own, (i have heard varying reports based on manufacturer & setup) as i did both at the same time. I had a friend helping me, i dont believe he messed with the sag at all at that time, but maybe he did. I see what you are saying, but all i know for sure is the measurements i jotted down.

One thing i can say for sure is the tires are definetly taller than the stockers. By what exact measurement, i dont know. i dont have the old ones on rims to get an accurate measurement on (and i am out of beer anyhow) I am pretty sure this has been mentioned in other threads as well.

It's possible, there did seem to be a few Labatt Ices involved. :excuseme:

However, the sphincterometer says the ride height is about the same?

I dont know how much the link lowers on it's own, (i have heard varying reports based on manufacturer & setup) as i did both at the same time. I had a friend helping me, i dont believe he messed with the sag at all at that time, but maybe he did. I see what you are saying, but all i know for sure is the measurements i jotted down.

One thing i can say for sure is the tires are definetly taller than the stockers. By what exact measurement, i dont know. i dont have the old ones on rims to get an accurate measurement on (and i am out of beer anyhow) I am pretty sure this has been mentioned in other threads as well.

I'm guessing (again), that the tires aren't the same size. The stockers are 4.60-18's and I don't believe the 606's come in inch sizes. If I recall the 4.60 size is 4.6 wide by 4.6 x .85 tall. The 5.10 size is a low profile or 5.10 x .82 tall. The metric sizes are width in millimeters x a percent of the with tall. In other words a 120/100-18 is 4.72 inches wide by 4.72 x 1.00 tall. To complicate things some manufacturers measure width to the outside of the knobs while others measure width at the sidewall.

I'm guessing (again), that the tires aren't the same size. The stockers are 4.60-18's and I don't believe the 606's come in inch sizes. If I recall the 4.60 size is 4.6 wide by 4.6 x .85 tall. The 5.10 size is a low profile or 5.10 x .82 tall. The metric sizes are width in millimeters x a percent of the with tall. In other words a 120/100-18 is 4.72 inches wide by 4.72 x 1.00 tall. To complicate things some manufacturers measure width to the outside of the knobs while others measure width at the sidewall.

Well, then i will stand corrected. Stupid tire sizes always throw me off a bit.

my rear is a 120/90-18 & according to Dunlop's website, it is 4.80 wide. So it is close it seems to the 4.60. Dunlops website states the overall diameter is 26.80", I cant find info on the diameter of the stockers. K850A's?

I think that is what they where. Not positive, they are on the stack of junk to go to the curb on thursday night. maybe i should check.

My apologies. I called the guy that helped me on my bike, he did alter the rear sag on me. So disregard the ride height issues i mentioned. He reminded me that initially the bike was actually about a half inch lower with the link & new rubber (in retrospect i do recall that now) He raised it back up so HE could take it for a ride. I wasnt aware of it.

My bad. :excuseme::bonk:

Well, then i will stand corrected. Stupid tire sizes always throw me off a bit.

my rear is a 120/90-18 & according to Dunlop's website, it is 4.80 wide. So it is close it seems to the 4.60. Dunlops website states the overall diameter is 26.80", I cant find info on the diameter of the stockers. K850A's?

I think that is what they where. Not positive, they are on the stack of junk to go to the curb on thursday night. maybe i should check.

By my somewhat suspect calculations the make the Dunlops about 1/2" taller. It should be noted that putting on a bigger rear tire is like putting on a smaller rear sprocket. Not to mention the extra weight and making it harder to turn.

I walked right into that one...nicely done!

I was thinking that the 606s or MT21s would be a little too "dirt" for the majority of riding I will be doing. We're moving to a small town and I will be using the bike mostly to get back and forth to work (on pavement)...with the occasional diversion off road, and lots of back road riding.

I'm thinking perhaps the Kenda 270s. They are discussed a lot on this forum. Anyone else got another suggestion? I'm even considering just ordering a rear Dunlop Trailmax and keep the stock Dunlop 850A that I have in the front. But, I normally like to ride the same rubber and tread f/r. Maybe that's a little too cautious. I can get a front and rear kenda for essentially the price of any other rear tire...by itself. Help sway me one way or the other. Maybe 80/20 on/off riding at the most? What tire would be the best. And...HOW BIG!!! I've found one guy who used a 5.10 Kenda 270 on the rear. Anyone else?

Thanks for the info. Please keep it coming!

Later...

I ride about 4 miles to work one way on backroads & sidestreets, i take dirt most of the way home, usually the LONG way *L*. So my riding is about 35/65ish - street/dirt. I just put the 606's on recently so i cant tell you about longevity. They corner well for how i ride on the road (rarely get over 50, much less thruway speeds) and do great on the dirt areas i ride in. For heavy offroad or strictly road, they of course would be a compromise, just like the rest of the bike.

I am not an agressive rider on road or off so i am not abusive to tires by a long shot. I currently have Avon Distanzia's on a spare set of rims i picked up from a fellow TT'er. Those tires are great on the road, I havent tried them off, and dont plan on doing so. I wanted them for when i know i am going to be making long road trips which my job sometimes requires.

I know nothing of the Kenda's. I was considering the Trailmax also until i found the rims with the Distanzia's already on them. (both tread patterns look quite similar)

I saw a thread on the 4strokes forum about a windshield, made by Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics Link HERE

No clue how it works, but i have read alot about people experiencing headshake at high speeds using a windsheild. :excuseme: but as i said i rarely get over 50, so that isnt an issue for me. I read somewhere else that the trails rack wont fit with a corbin, but i really dont see why?? Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Thanks for the replies. Lots of great suggestions, and interesting discussion ref tire size. I will be going for the Spitfire windshield, but still not 100% on tires. The Kenda 761s also seem like pretty good tires but their largest rear tire size (120/80) is a little smaller than the stock one (I was hoping to go bigger...) :bonk: The other problem is that they say it is meant for a 3 inch wide rim. With the rear rim size of the XR650L only 2.15 inches, I wasn't sure if that tire was also too wide. Is anyone riding Kenda 761s on their XR650L? If so, please jump in on the discussion...I'd like to see some pics of the 761s on a bike to see if it looks like a good fit.

Long and short of it...still struggling with trying to find a reasonably priced set of rubber for my bike... :excuseme:

Any good online stores in Canada for tires? All the places in the US seem to charge a fortune for shipping to Canada...

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance. :busted:

Rotorwash