Couple Questions 06YZ450

Couple questions guys. First what cleans the scuffs off the aluminum frame good? I don't want anything thats going to polish it. Do you know of anyplace that sells good frame guards, preferably black plastic ones? I've looked around a bit and all I came up with was universal fit ones.

Also, how are you supposed to check the darn oil on this bike? They put the dipstick in a terrible spot, I mean its the first place to get completely covered with dirt. And I don't usually carry a pressure washer to the track, so I guess I'm pretty much screwed for checking it.. unless I want dirt to drop in the motor. That was stupid on Yamaha's part.

On the plus side, the bike is fast as hell, awsome suspension, you can actually get the spark plug out without taking the whole bike apart. I am starting to miss the 426 less and less now.. shit its already forgotten! Cant wait till the next ride! Do you guys find this bike corners weird? I'm having a tough time adapting to it... handles alot different than the 426. I think maybe I'm so used to muscling the old 426 around that I'm over riding it in the corners. I guess I just need to get some more seat time in.

I've seen carbon fiber guards, so someone must have them, even though I would not put them on my bike, as a simple rubbing with aluminum cleaner takes care of it.

This bike turns sometimes so sharp and good that it surprises me, so take your time to get used to it, you will like it.

Why would you need to check the oil? I mean, if you drain the oil correctly (all of it) and put in 1 liter fresh oil, do you doubt your doings or do you fear it buns oil so much that you need to add between oilchanges? The dipstick is totally unnecessary and only helps you change the oil as it needs to be opened when draining. Changing oil every 2-4 hours does not need any checkings in between, most of them who take the checking route will end up overfilling it as they do not know the correct checking procedure anyway. JMO.

Couple questions guys. First what cleans the scuffs off the aluminum frame good? I don't want anything thats going to polish it. Do you know of anyplace that sells good frame guards, preferably black plastic ones? I've looked around a bit and all I came up with was universal fit ones.

Also, how are you supposed to check the darn oil on this bike? They put the dipstick in a terrible spot, I mean its the first place to get completely covered with dirt. And I don't usually carry a pressure washer to the track, so I guess I'm pretty much screwed for checking it.. unless I want dirt to drop in the motor. That was stupid on Yamaha's part.

On the plus side, the bike is fast as hell, awsome suspension, you can actually get the spark plug out without taking the whole bike apart. I am starting to miss the 426 less and less now.. shit its already forgotten! Cant wait till the next ride! Do you guys find this bike corners weird? I'm having a tough time adapting to it... handles alot different than the 426. I think maybe I'm so used to muscling the old 426 around that I'm over riding it in the corners. I guess I just need to get some more seat time in.

simple green and a worn out scotchbrite does it for me.

It just gives me piece of mind to check the oil at least once during a ride. Its probably true that you dont really need to check it that often if your changing your oil every ride.... which I do. I wouldn't even chance taking that dipstick out with the dirt that ends around there. But if you were to lose oil somehow on the ride and not notice, and your a "non checker" you might not catch it before its too late. At least if you do check you oil then you don't have that problem.

:D I had a 01 426,besides the weight,it is the best handleing motorcycle I have ever ridden.As far as the 06,aftermarket glid plate from works connection keeps the mud out :applause: I warm up the bike before I leave the house and check my oil then.That way I can concentrate on the ride :ride:I would sugjust some black grip tape on the fram,the glue comes off,the deep scuffs don't!

As far as the dipstick, I do think its in a tough spot, but I only check it before I get the bike dirty. I use carb cleaner (Gumout) to clean everything on my bike that is tough to get off with soap/water when washing the bike. For example, oil that is grimed up, scuffs on the frame, etc...the stuff works wonders and will get anything off with out you even having to scrub.

I raised my forks to first line, cornering is much better.

I use WD40 and a green scotchbrite pad to bring the frame back to looking new again.It gives the frame the nice dull satin finish.

I never really check the oil in my 450.I change it enough(every 3 hours) to know that if it eats enough oil that it would be out(or low) on oil then I have bigger problems.

Yes on the scotchbrite pad and wd40. I just bought the applied 27mm clamp set as recomended by applied . The front goes any where you want to put it . Run the fork tubes flush with this set up. Try a different front tire , 95 sag . Run fork tubes up at first line . Try 1 click in (slower) of rebound in the front, Stay up in turns. good luck HD