HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamasaki

Q: Can an '03 yz450f cylinder be overbored?

6 posts in this topic

can the sleeve inside a '2003 yz450f cylinder be bored out to accept larger diameter pistons? or do these cylinders have the nikasil stuff on them?

the new top-end i put in on friday failed on me todya. the circlip failed on one side and the wrist pin slid over and dug a nice groove into the cylinder sleeve.

just wondering if i can take it to a local engine shop and have them bore it out and hone it for me so i can just drop a new piston in there.. :applause:

It is nicosil. Send it to one of the plating companies and they can repair the damage and replate to original size, or go oversize and replate. Tdub

cool, thanks.

i've used a company called Millenium Technologies in the past, they do cylinder repairs/exchange and offer a lifetime warranty on their nikasil plating.

guess i'll just call them up today.. :D

mo money! :applause:

thanks for the reply..

It was cheaper to buy a new cylinder last time I did it, $285ca for a new one, $325-350ca for a replate. Worth checking, a four stroke jug isn't nearly as expensive as a two stroke.

did some research... you guys were right.. i cant believe how cheap 4stroke cylinders are!

i just bought a brand new Yamaha cylinder for $200 from Yamaha of Troy. nice.

:busted:

i'm still sour that i screwed up my own motor after doing a top-end rebuild, but i guess in retrospect, things couldve been worse.. now lets see if i can put this topend together the right way. :bonk:

and this time, i'm using the OEM yamaha circlips on the piston, NOT those cheap, paper-clip looking junk ones.

:excuseme: <= OEM circlips

:bonk: <= junky paperclip ones