HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HawkGT

XRR 200w stator question

8 posts in this topic

If I get a 200w stator to run higher wattage lights, will I need to do anything else other than replace the stator? What about a voltage regulator? I don't run a battery.

Which is better, RickyStator or Electrex? They are both similarly priced. The Electrex has coated windings, the RickyStator appears not to be coated.

thanks

I got mine from Ricky, I use the one output (it comes with 2 X 100watt)

through the stock XRR AC regulator and run the lights off that. The other output

runs my DS kit and stuff like GPS. ..

I only run a 55 / 65 Watt headlight and find it good enought for now.

But, yes, get the stator and run it using the stock regulator, it'll be fine.

I'm thinkin' of running Trailtechs 8" light with a 100w halogen bulb. Or, I'll use that light with a 55w bulb and keeping the stator stock (for now).

Just trying to figure out which way I'm going with this...

thanks

the up side is that you'll have two lots of 100+ watts

the way I have mine now, I have 100 for DC and 100 for AC. I'm not using

half of it yet... but come winter a heated thingy or two might be nice :applause:

But, yes, get the stator and run it using the stock regulator, it'll be fine

unless you want to run 100+ watt lights.... could need a stronger regulator

i think the stock one is only good up to 85 watts.

Actually the exact opposite is true. An AC regulator works by shorting out the wires from the stator. When the voltage gets too high, the regulator adsorbs it so the bulb doesn't blow. With a high wattage bulb, the regulator doesn't need to adsorb very much. So with a 100 watt bulb the stocker would be OK. Wit a 55 watt bulb it might work, but get hot. The problem happens when the bulb burns out. Now all the juice is going to the regulator. A stock unit can't handle the 100 watts and will burn out. That's why you need a new one, so it can handle the stator output with no bulb.

Actually the exact opposite is true. An AC regulator works by shorting out the wires from the stator. When the voltage gets too high, the regulator adsorbs it so the bulb doesn't blow. With a high wattage bulb, the regulator doesn't need to adsorb very much. So with a 100 watt bulb the stocker would be OK. Wit a 55 watt bulb it might work, but get hot. The problem happens when the bulb burns out. Now all the juice is going to the regulator. A stock unit can't handle the 100 watts and will burn out. That's why you need a new one, so it can handle the stator output with no bulb.

Thanx for the explanation, much appreciated. :excuseme:

I own both an Electrex and a Ricky Stator , and am waiting on recieving Electrex's "new" style stator for the XRR.

Between Electrex's old (200 watt) stator and the Ricky Stator 200 watt stator, I'd go with the Ricky Stator only because it comes plug-n-play with all connections crimped on and the factory grommet installed (the electrex comes with unstripped and uncrimped wire and no grommet; I will attest to the fact that installing the grommet yourself is an absolute b*tch and chewed up well over an hour to get the wires to route cleanly. If it isn't perfect the grommet develops bulges and water can leak in). On the other hand, I have heard from a few people now that the coating that Ricky Stator applies to the windings on his stator melts at higher temps when it shouldn't, while the Electrex unit doesn't suffer this.

As I mentioned, I also have the 'new style' Electrex stator on order. Electrex claims that while the older unit put out a hair over 2x100 watts (as most do), their new stator is a 3-phase unit putting out 3x100 watts. I have no idea how true this is, and I have no idea if it comes plug and play or not as I don't have it in my hands yet. However, if it does produce that extra 100 watts it's more than worth it to me for the upgrade. If you are interested in it, give Rob Barnum of Barnums Pro a call as he has been running it in his bike with great success.

Or if you have time, wrap it yourself. I would have done that, but time was in short supply. But it's a great learning experience. I don't have any of the URLs available that break down how to do it on the R, but I'm sure others do. Good luck. :excuseme: