Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tree_Crippler

Brake light/plate holder ??

8 posts in this topic

I am starting to make the bike look legal. Does any plate holder fit on the fender without a lot of hacking? Should I get a YZ fender and put the brakelight that fits under that?

Will the brakelight work without a battery? Can the stock tailight be turned into a DOT light?

You can get a hydraulic break light switch from Baja Design which will screw right into your rear break line banjo connection at the rear master cylinder. It costs about $20.00. They carry two so make sure you tell them its for a wr400. Their email address is WWW.bajadesigns.com and can be ordered over the internet. I have one and it works fine. When the lights are on, the headlight will flicker slightly when the break is applied, but that's it. The wire for the tail light bulb is alread there on your bike as is the correct bulb. You simply run juice to the switch and connect the output wire to the existing tail light wire and your there. I am designing and building a license bracket which will bolt to the underside of the fender using the three existing bolts used to hold the tail light assembly. This can easily be removed without drilling any holes in the fender. You should be able to do the same. I plan to run a dual sport ride for 8 days in copper canyon Mexico, and the bike has to be legal enough to get into Mexico.

I used the brake light switch from Baja Designs and made the bracket for this aftermarket tail light so my plate would be lit. I also like the looks of the YZ fender better than the WR, and if it gets trashed its $20 to replace.

Brad

View?u=1008376&a=7424498&p=37584429&Sequence=0&res=high

View?u=1008376&a=7424498&p=37586203&Sequence=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 01-09-2001).]

Great! That looks good Brad. I thought I saw a DOT tailight that looks like Brads with a plastic piece the KTMS have hanging from the fender.

If I decide to use the stock fender do I have to change the bulb?

I'm going to make it street legal, but will go before I'm done to a National Dual Sport and an Enduro that want it to look legal. I guess it takes a while in PA with DMV.

[This message has been edited by Tree Crippler (edited 01-09-2001).]

I SALE A LIC. PLATE BRACKET THAT BOLTS ON TO THE STOCK WR REAR FENDER. IT HAS A LIGHT TO

LIGHT THE LIC. PLATE. IT IS VERY SLICK SET UP. THIS LETS YOU USE YOUR STOCK WR FENDER

AND TAIL LIGHT. CALL TOLL FREE 866-782-4600/

818-782-4600.

THANKS MARK

There is a really slick rear fender with a tail/brake/lic.plate light and plate mount assembly that is made by UFO and available from any dealer that deals with Tucker Rocky. It's called an enduro rear fender,is colour matched and pre-drilled to mount the same as stock.Looks similiar to an O.E. KTM EXC rear fender.Retail is approximately $70.00 CDN.(should be about $45.00 USD)

Miked,

What's legal enough for Mexico? I've ridden in Baja and never seen anybody hassled - that includes 2smokes w/no lighting whatsoever.

Brian

I will be riding the WR for eight days both on the road and off with Rosens Rides. Riding in copper Canyon on one and two lane dirt roads for about 1400 miles. I was told by the Rosens that the bike will need to have lights, plate, registration and insurance to be ridden on the roads in Mexico. I plan to use the stock lights, added the break light, will install a set of Dual Sport 50/50 tires, a 15 tooth front sprocket, plate,a set of soft saddle bags and away we go. I didnt mean to imply that one had to be street leagal to get into Mexico and ride, only to ride somewhat legally on the roads. We will be riding through towns such as Chihuahua, Creel, Batopilas, Satevo, Cerocahui ect.

[This message has been edited by miked (edited 01-14-2001).]