HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sprtslvr785

Need your help and advice

5 posts in this topic

Ok- I know this doesnt involve a dirt bike itself- but I am going to buy a 250r quad with a yz426 motor in it. I was just wondering what I should check out on the motor before I pay the guy to make sure that everything is A-ok.

I would like to do a compression check- what should the compression be? It is an 03 motor. Thanks

Quad with a 426 motor....Hmmmmmmmm sounds dangerous but as far as the

engine condition I don't think you should go completely with the compression as a deciding choice on weither to buy it or not...an engine can have good compression and not be in good shape..(wornout cams, loose connecting rod,

worn out dogs in gear box, slipping clutch, any number of things) If your not

real familiar with the workings of a dirt bike you should take one of your bubbies that is with you before you buy someone elses problems....Seen it happen more than once during my 25 years as a motorcycle mechanic.......especially if this is

a "HOME MADE" install in the quad....could get ugly..

Good Luck, BC :applause:

Check the air filter!! Is it dirty? real dirty?? if its real dirty, chances are the guy didnt take real good care of it. Look for oil everywhere, and look real good at how that motor is installed, does it look sloppy? ride it , ride it , ride it check for odd noises, clean shifts, good luck

Ok- I know this doesnt involve a dirt bike itself- but I am going to buy a 250r quad with a yz426 motor in it. I was just wondering what I should check out on the motor before I pay the guy to make sure that everything is A-ok.

I would like to do a compression check- what should the compression be? It is an 03 motor. Thanks

'03 426 motor? :applause: It is impossible it has to be '00-'02. Maybe you shouldn't buy it from this guy if he doesn't even know what motor is in it

Sorry I told you guys the wrong engine- thats the engine my cousin is buying but his is an 01- mine is going to be a 2003 yz450f-

You can buy a lonestar frame to fit these new 450 motors in them on a 250r.