HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spyder8850

Frame & Rear shock absorber Too Hot

10 posts in this topic

Anyone having experience after a long ride, the frame (right side) and the rear shock absorber is too hot due to the exhaust pipe being mounted too close to them. Anyone uses anything here to reduce the heat? Does the heat cause any long term effect on the rear shock canister?

The long term effect is that it destroys the oil and gas in your shock.

It is normal for the frame to heat up. The exhaust system is bolted to it.

Put some heat tape around the pipe and use some fibre washers where it bolts to the frame

That is exactly what I was thinking too...

I try to get some heat tape and fibre washers to fix them up...

Thanks guys!

A heat deflector can be made from aluminum that fits between the shock and the pipe. Make it with a tab so that the exhaust pipe bolt can hold it on. My wife remains mystified as to the disappearance of her aluminum baking pans.

FYI - the shock will get hot by itself, especially when riding rough ground and it's stroking a lot. Some can get too hot to hold your hand on. I'd bet exhaust heat is the lessor of the two by a large marign. Just my .02

A heat deflector can be made from aluminum that fits between the shock and the pipe. Make it with a tab so that the exhaust pipe bolt can hold it on. My wife remains mystified as to the disappearance of her aluminum baking pans.

Do you have pic of it, if your don't mind?!

FYI - the shock will get hot by itself, especially when riding rough ground and it's stroking a lot. Some can get too hot to hold your hand on. I'd bet exhaust heat is the lessor of the two by a large marign. Just my .02

Make sense :prof:

Don't you always get HOT when being stroked!? :D:applause:

First of all, you shouldn't cook with Aluminum.

Second of all, what were you doing in the kitchen???

There could be other problems like frothy oil. It makes the shock heat up and very harsh.