Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PerrymanRacing

06 needs a tube rerouted

13 posts in this topic

the tube that goes into the top of the head and down the front of the frame should be rerouted to prevent dust and sand getting in the engine. what i did with mine was spun it around and ran it by the carb and into the air box. i found a small filter that fit it perfectly at the local hardware store and put that on the end that is in the air box. so if you have the 06 you should really think about doing this, it goes the same for the 06 250F too.

Unless the bike is cranked with the end of the breather under water, or shoved into a sand dune, explain why you think it will draw dirt into the engine.

Unless the bike is cranked with the end of the breather under water, or shoved into a sand dune, explain why you think it will draw dirt into the engine.

I agree, that hose vents the head pressure...put you hand by it when the bikes running..feels like a mini exhaust. ..I'm on my 3rd Yamaha thumper & have never had a problem with it....even after a NASTY endo at Glamis a few years back...sand got into everything..except the motor.

I got a massive moose skid plate and the way the hose is routed now(same as from the factory) it sprays out a bit of oil on the skid plate and when riding in the dust all the dirt sticks to the oil and makes a huge mess. I'm probably gonna re route it up to behind the number plate so less oil sprays out and stick a filter on it

alright the title is misleading i guess, it doesnt need to be. i would rather be safe than sorry, a guy told me his engine needed some work bc sand getting into it so i would rather move it then wait for something bad. just trying to inform everyone.

alright the title is misleading i guess, it doesnt need to be. i would rather be safe than sorry, a guy told me his engine needed some work bc sand getting into it so i would rather move it then wait for something bad. just trying to inform everyone.
Nice, but you see, we've heard that before:
...and that's only the beginning. And yet, Yamaha continues to disagree with all of the "field engineers". :applause:

Once again. I say pull your hose where it goes into the valve cover and look into it with a small flashlight. I bet you WILL find dirt all the way up to that level. That is regardless whether your bike has been started in a dune or not. I have seen this on 2 bikes and mine was one of them. I have had 2 previous Yamahas and have never seen this before. I don't have a scientific explanation. I only know that dirt was working its way all the way into the valve cover from normal MX riding until I put a filter on the end of this hose.

Once again. I say pull your hose where it goes into the valve cover and look into it with a small flashlight. I bet you WILL find dirt all the way up to that level.
I don't know what to tell you, but I look at that every time I check the valves, and I've never found anything there. :applause:

If you think yours needs rerouting, then do so, by all means. There's not much of a down side other than the oil in the air box. But remember, the rerouted hose is usually even shorter than the original, and by running flat rather than vertically, this makes it easier for dirt to intrude (provided it can get to the end of the hose...and have you looked in your air box lately?), so a filter is fairly necessary.

Read my post Gray.

I stated that I owned 2 other YZ's and never saw this before. My '06 is the only one that has done this. You don't have an '06. I have no idea why this bike is any different than pervious years, I just know that it was a problem and I fixed it.