HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamahacrazy_310

Thinking of polishing my frame....should I???

19 posts in this topic

I was sitting there looking at my 450 (not all put back together yet) an was wondering if If I should polish my frame.....I would like to know....well if I should and how??? And if you have a picture of a polished 2006 YZF or an aluminum YZ I would like to see them to see if they look good. Thanks.

I wouldn't... not worth the trouble IMO. You'll spend way too much time trying to keep the polished look. Granted I'm not one to talk because I do clean up my frame really nice each time I wash my bike, but to polish the frame and keep it that way is just way too much trouble in my book. Just hit the frame with 00 steel wool or a scotchbrite pad and orange glo hand cleaner after each ride and it will look good enough for most everyone.

not on the yammy. the frame is too narrow it doesnt have the same effect as polishing a honda frame. not worth it imo

This is a huge amount of elbow grease and determination. I believe the bike pictured was done professionally. When your frame is polished it is going to show wear and scratches more than stock and you will continually be "touching it up". I would advise against it.

I personally wouldn't, but if you want to...go for it. I just don't want to be polishing it each time Im done riding, I just want to clean the bike and ride agian.

My frame has the down tubes and part of the frame polished. It took about 5-6 hours to do. Very light sand paper and aluminum polish. I have to polish the frame rails every other ride to keep them looking good (takes about 5-10 minutes). Yes, the scratches and boot marks will show. Is it worth it? Depends on how you like your bike to look. I'm okay with touching up the polished parts every once in a while for the look.

My frame has the down tubes and part of the frame polished. It took about 5-6 hours to do. Very light sand paper and aluminum polish. I have to polish the frame rails every other ride to keep them looking good (takes about 5-10 minutes). Yes, the scratches and boot marks will show. Is it worth it? Depends on how you like your bike to look. I'm okay with touching up the polished parts every once in a while for the look.

Do you have any pictures?

Wes woodin polished his frame and it looked really good but I can't find the thread
Let me see if I can help you....

Look at the second post in the thread.

:applause:

Let me see if I can help you....

Look at the second post in the thread.

:applause:

Oh is it Wes's? My pop up blocker won't let me see it :D

Your pop-up blocker won't let you see a link you click on?

Go to: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Of course, you'll probably have to cut and paste it. Park IE6 somewhere and get a browser that isn't a breeding ground for malicious code.

I think it looks cool but I am not interested in doing it...too much more stuff to polish every ride :applause:

Looks sweet honey necter pie, but ive got enough to do cleaning , maintaining, riding 2 bikes

I would not do it. Way too much time to do it and way to much time maintaining it. The only frame I polished was on a FZR750R and I will never do that again to a bike.