Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlight9

Spark arrestor on stock 2006 YZ450 exhuast

13 posts in this topic

Did anyones stock exhaust on there 2006 yz 450 come with a spark arrester? :prof::bonk: Just kidding, I installed a stainless steel screen down inside the pipe. I took the end cap off and laid a heavy piece of stainless steel screen over the inner pipe of the exhaust. Then just reinstalled the end cap over the screen. The screen is held in place by the end cap that is flared, It is designed to slide over the exhaust tube inside of the exhaust. The flared part was just loose enough to take the screen and make a tight fit out of it. Parts include a $ 1.97 stainless steel sink strainer, 8 new 3/16 rivets and some help from friends. Wondering why I would do this? Well you must have a spark arrester to ride at the local national forest. The screen is the same guage wire that comes on other after market slip on exhaust. Total cost $5 bucks and a few beers. Here are some. pics :applause::D:prof:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/mlight/e2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/mlight/e1.jpg

This guy has ridstealth.com in his sig yet he rides a bike that measures 105 db on the sound meter. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with a loud bike, I just thought I'd point out the irony :applause:

This guy has ridstealth.com in his sig yet he rides a bike that measures 105 db on the sound meter. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with a loud bike, I just thought I'd point out the irony :bonk:

You got me on that one, I'm just waiting on someone to do a good exhaust test and explain how they come up with there numbers. My bike does drive me crazy with the loudness of it. The sound test that they do just don't make any sense to me, the one test that I know they do is at 4500 rpm. That test is designed to work on XR's not the 450's of today. IF I could get real numbers I would have bought an exhaust a long time ago. If someone could tell me what test they use and what RPM range they are testing at it would be awesome.

^^^^

Apparantly its supposed to be 1/2 of the RPMs that the engine produces its peak torque at. Thats impossible though because my TTR is supposed to test at 4250 rpm and there is no way in hell that it makes its peak torque at 8500 rpm.

What kind of RPM does your bike run at? The only info that I have found is showing they test bikes at 4500 RPM. I agree that doesn't work, but I can not find anything else that shows any different.

Good idea, but the first time someone checks you and you don't have "USFS approved" anywhere on your muffler, they'll give you a ticket. It's rediculous that it has to be that way, because like you said what you did works just the same as my $125 PMB endcap... good luck with it, hopefully they'll let you slide!

He's right. They'll ticket you if it's not USFS approved. I wonder if you can find the little plate and rivet it on?

From my understanding all that happens when they get checked out by the ranger is they put a stick down the exhaust to make sure the screen is in there. I guess I will find out, and I'll let you know if there is any power loss. Hell, I liked it loud to when I was in my 20's and a young buck. I don't care for it now, I guess I'm getting old.

Trout, as long as the muffler is stamped "USFS approved" or "screen type" or anything else that indicates a spark arrestor is in there you're safe. mlight- a dimwitted ranger will probably just do the "stick test" and you'll be fine, but one who knows what he's doing will likely be able to tell that you have a modified stocker. Like I said, if he's in a good mood he may let you slide, but to me the $125 is worth the piece of mind knowing I don't have to sweat it. PS the "stick test" is a good way for some dork to poke a hole in your screen and ruin it- don't let them do that if you can help it.