Front Suspension Clank.

Front ends has clank noise when I bottom it out. Is tis the bottom of the fork maxing out? There are Eibach 950 49,.1 springs in it. Where should I start?Has anyone ever added more oil thru air pressure relief screws? i hate to try and take them apart myself since I have never rippped in forks before. The travel seems soft thoughout the range and have increased the compression clickers some already but still not stopping the bottoming on square edge ruts at meduim speed.

Which bike and how much do you weigh? Are those springs stiffer than stock?

In my XR600, I put the max amount of higher viscosity fluid (5w vs. ATF 15w), and cranked the compression clickers up to 2 clicks from max. It helped a lot. I still need to get stiffer springs.

To add the fliud you need to measure it. Remove from bike and unscrew the cap then the spring. Collapse it all the way and measure. Your shop manual should have the numbers. If it's been a while you should replace the shock fluid anyway.

How much do you weigh? Who did the suspension? Sound like you have the compression valve drilled out?? 2.5wt fluid? You can stop the bottoming some buy running just a little more fluid. If you don't know how much fluid is in there you can't add to much (I wouldn't add more then 5ml) or you could blow the seals. You measure the fluid with the springs out and the forks off the bike fully collapsed. The fluid should be between 130mm (soft) to 100mm (stiffer) from the top of the tube. How high are you jumping?

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Sorry about not enough info....here goes I weigh 180 with gear on. I bought bike used with suspension set up with stiffer springs ( .45 in back and 9.5 in front). Suspension done by ACE I think. Sag in front seems a little excessive to me that is why I am looking at more fluid up front. Bottoming is 2 to 3 foot rain wash out when front lands first. Also thinking of changing the rear sag and maybe go back to stock spring.

Stock shock spring is yellow and 9.3kg/mm stock fork springs are .43kg/mm.

If the shock spring is black it is after market hopefully 10kg/mm Eibach

I weigh 186 with nothing and sometime bottom the forks with a .45kg-10kg setup. I don't bottom out the forks till I do over 4 foot drop off's or over cleer 55' table tops and hit flat. Sound like you have the right setup.

Don't crank the compression adjusters to much or you will hydraulic (feels just like bottoming) the compression adjusters for the forks are in the bottom of each fork under a rubber plug. The compression adjuster is best between between 16~8 clicks out from all the way in (just till it stops then count the clicks out). The top adjuster on the forks is for rebound. Rebound is best between 11~13 clicks out for most aggressive riders. The shock has the compression adjuster on the top reservoir and the rebound adjuster is down on the linkage fork on the chain side. Your race sag should be about 4".

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=971

Thanks for info....after doing some more research the rear springs is a 12kg rated black Eibach. Could that be way to stiff for me. It feels fine but maybe is causing the front to sag to much? Front are .49 springs

Front sag on an XR is adjusted by addang a spacer, usually made out of PVC. Find out how much sag you want, see how much you have and insert a PVC spacer to make up the difference.

This is only for setting the sag. That is if your needing more spring pre-load to add loft to the front wheel through whoops at higher speed and such. Or if you are raising the spring rate by cutting the spring and then adding the spacer you mentioned.

Thanks for info....after doing some more research the rear springs is a 12kg rated black Eibach. Could that be way to stiff for me. It feels fine but maybe is causing the front to sag to much? Front are .49 springs.

Your springs are for a 280+ pound rider!

There are spring carts on the Fork and Shock pages on this sight: http://xr650r.borynack.com/

and all kinds of stuff that will help you setup your suspension for a XR650R.