HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sox450

lights keep blowing?

6 posts in this topic

I returned back from a ride and both the tail and headlamps had blown. I changed both and they worked fine at idle, when I increased the revs the lights blew again... bike still runs fine. Maybe a silly question, but I assume the voltage rectifier / regulator is faulty. Before I buy a new one, could anyone suggest if the fault could be else where with the symptoms described? :applause:

Stick a voltmeter across the battery, see what its reading at idle and then slowly increase the revs. It shouldn't go higher than about 14.8v if I recall correctly... any more and its probably yer regulator.

Also, you're in danger of overcharging and 'boiling' your battery, could be wise to run something 12v off it for a bit with the engine off to settle it. :D

Assuming of course that nothings hanging off at the moment :applause:

Before replacing, check the cable and connector off regulator, maybe it just disconnected somehow.

Same thing happened to me. AC voltage from the defective regulator was ~17 volts under a 60 watt load. Replaced the regulator and the load voltage read ~13 volts. The new regulator fixed it.

My regulator went kaput on the first day of a 2100 mile Baja trip. The good thing was, it forced me to get in before dark. :applause:

if that is your problem i have a new 06 regulator for sale, removed it from my new bike when i put the Baja-Designs Dual Sport kit on her and modded the stator, the stock regulator won't work with that setup and the kit comes with a new one.

Hi,

I had same problem. What I did I started to run lights straight from battery. I haven't had problem since.

Timo Mc