Bar height

Hi Guys, Im 6' 3" tall and am finding the standign position on my new ('05) WR450F uncomfortable especially on the wrists, I believe they need to be higher so have ordered a 'Renthal RC HIGH ' replacement bars. Has anyone else done this mod if so do any control cables etc need changing also?

It all fits mate, don't worry about it.

I run Protaper fatbars with adapters that raise the bars a fair way over stock. No problems!

I'm running the Renthal Fatbar RC high bend on my '04, along with the adapters that give another 3/4" or so in height. (I'm also 6'3). Although I still have to bend over some when standing, it is much better than the stock bars. If the bars were much taller, they would feel like ape-hangers on a Harley when sitting. No mods or longer cables needed.

There are some pretty inexpensive bar risers out there, that work with the standard 7/8 bars and the stock triple clamps. I run a Thumper Racing 1.5" risers, these move the bars up and forward, I have them on my 2000WR400 and 2004WR450 and 1" riser on 1993 XR600. All with Renthal Jimmy Button High Bends. This makes standing very comfortable. I can ride with out wasting all my energy trying to hang on while crouched over.

The only thing I had to do to accomodate the mod was roll the throttle tube over, so the cables are under the bar instead of over, cut the grip off and re-glue a new grip on so it is in the right position. The rest of the cables have plenty of slack.

I thought the cables might catch on something, as the are under the handlebar, but its never happened once in over 6 years.

running pro taper pastrana fmx bend with fat bar adapters that add a bit of height.

6'2" barely gotta bend over

T_O_Pie, This is exactly what I've been looking for. Did you order the YZ units for I've not seen where they are offered for WR's?

Thanks,

I guess I should have asked a more general question. My '05 is new and I've got to stop buying new parts! :D

My next stop was going to be trees with extended clamps but I couldn't justify trashing brand new perfectly good parts.

The 1.5 " risers seem just the ticket. (6'3")

I'm also thinking about just cutting and welding the stock pegs - with a plate to drop about 1/2 inch.

I have a bunch of catalogs but haven't seen risers and could only imagine what they would look like. Where might I find a pair?

The Thumper Raciing site doesn't seem to offer them online - :applause:

Be careful, the more higher the risers are, the more back your bars become.

I run Protaper Windham's for the height and they have less pull back too. I run them pushed forward a bit to combat what the adapters pulled the bars back.

This is why adjustable clamps are awesome.

6'3" here and I'm running with Tusk risers ($20 @ Rockymountain) that add 1.5" and swapped the stock renthal bars for some Mini Hi-Bends. They add another 1.1" and have very little pullback. I have them rolled forward a tad and all cables fit fine. Actually, they are less tight than when I had the Renthals with the risers - the Mini bars are 1.5" narrower. Couple all that with some Powerpegz in the lowboy position and I can stand without crouching at all if I chose to. Makes for a very comfortable "attack" position also. Made a huge difference in riding by being able to stand without being over the front tire. :applause:

running pro taper pastrana fmx bend with fat bar adapters that add a bit of height.

6'2" barely gotta bend over

I agree with nitronaf. After a lot of research I also went with that combo and I'm the envy of a lot of my riding friends. They give you the highest height increase (maybe except the Ramirez mounts), don't need to re-route any cables, not as wide (good for singletrack) as the CR/RM bends and extremely comfortable. I'm 6'2 and can stand straight up. Best upgrade on my bike by far.

Be careful about lowering footpegs... its a nasty way to lose a toe or break your foot on some stumps. I don't know where you ride but around my place there is a bunch of trails with stumps all along the trail that are just below the standard peg height.

Good luck.

:applause:

Thanks all who replied to my question. Looks like I'll have a new project soon.

Be careful about lowering footpegs... its a nasty way to lose a toe or break your foot on some stumps. I don't know where you ride but around my place there is a bunch of trails with stumps all along the trail that are just below the standard peg height.

They only lower less than 1/2"

If you were fat or didn't have suspension set up, the bike would sag more than 1/2"......................

go to barrisersersonline.com

I have them and I will never own another bike without them. It seems odd at first but they work great after the mental adjustment. The manufacturer is a good dude who will respond to an e-mail and answer any petty questions you have.

They only lower less than 1/2"

If you were fat or didn't have suspension set up, the bike would sag more than 1/2"......................

Are you calling me fat? :D

Yeah, I don't know how much they lower the pegs but I've met people who lowered their pegs and ran into the stumps. Granted, their suspension might not have been setup correctly. I personally haven't hit any on that specific trail.

Good luck.

That is funny, I just had a conversation with a Yamaha Engineer when he was out measuring the stumps in the area I ride. :D

Are you calling me fat? :prof:

Yeah, I don't know how much they lower the pegs but I've met people who lowered their pegs and ran into the stumps. Granted, their suspension might not have been setup correctly. I personally haven't hit any on that specific trail.

:D

moose has just come out with a set that sets back a 1/2" but not lower,i was intrigued and ordered a set as they have a raised center bar for pivoting(i'm coming off pivot pegs) i was finding my toes grabbing stuff with the p-pegs in the lowboy position. they work way better but i will have to buy new bars as my riding position has me bent over to meet the bars too much(gonna try the fatbar mini bend) the moose pegs are a whole new aspect of adjustability :applause: