HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Numskull

Fork kit

3 posts in this topic

My left tube started leaking last month and now my bike handles like shit. If I hit high speed bumps I get major head shake :applause: When im driving slow the suspension seems harsh. The only time I like em is soaking up a jump or a big bump(and you wonder how it did that)

So im gonna but this kit that has the wipers, bushings, and seals for $68 bucks and freshen up the front end.

Questions: oil wt? gold valving? new springs?

I'm on a budget and dont want to spend 1000 bucks for a small improvement, but will spend a 100 for a noticeable improvement. I dont pay for labor and will do the work myself.

What about a steering stabilizer? are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance for your experience and wisdom :D

With the money you would spend on a steering stabilizer (~$400+ by it's self), fork and shock springs, and gold valve kits, get a suspension shop to set up your suspension properly. Trust me.

It will save you alot of swear words in the long run, and posibally money.

I have found that if you go over 5w oil, it will be way too firm and just becomes harsh.

What should be first priority - replacing the seal in both forks.

Second, springs matching your weight and riding style are available online at Racetech.com calculator. I weigh 208# naked, and a 5.6Kg/mm and .48Kg/mm re-spring cost be $200. I am 60 years old but still in great shape, but I don't push the envelope anymore. I affirm the difference in springs was quite noticeable over stock, so if you are over about 195 # or under 155# new springs are warranted.

The Gold valve issue in my book is a fine tune. If you are riding on the ragged edge competitively and still seeing your friends/competetiors slowly pull away from you, well the suggestion paying a suspension shop the $400 is well spent.

Myself, I have replaced the springs on my new 06 WR450 shortly after buying it - peace of cake. Years ago when I raced I replaced oil seals. Do a search on how to do this on suspension forum.

Good luck, and safe riding.

Tim

PS With a little care and the right tools, I have always found the extra satisfaction of doing things myself - up to and including a complete re-build of my DT-1 and RT-1 back in the 60's and 70s.