HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Numskull

New Tires

29 posts in this topic

Im getting some stuff for the bike this week and tires seem like one of the things I need. My stock dunlops (739 ?) have wore 45% with in 350 miles and all off the nobs are rounded and some of them chipped/ripped off.

I ride in Iowa dirt, and it goes from rip it up dirt to hard packed depending on how much rain there is. Some of the hill climbs are very loose compost dirt, to some of the trails which are packed hard like cement.

The tires I have now really dont leave me with alot of confidence in cornering, or cracking the throttle as both tires wash out bad. Im going to be tuning my suspension and putting new tires on her and want maximum traction. I have alot of horse power and the rear tire spins to easily, alot of times throwing the back end side ways. I think I need a really super big nobby :prof:

What are the differences when buying a tire that says : loam, soft, soft-intermediate, intermediate, hard, etc.? Which tire will perform the best in all conditions? I can see that im only gonna get a few hundred miles on any tire, so I guess Ill change the oil and tires at the same time :applause:

I am thinking of getting the Maxxis Maxx cross Desert intermediate Terrain for the rear and the Maxxis c6001 intermediate terrain for the front. They look big and beefy :D What do you think

If you don't care about how long the tires last then try a Dunlop 756RR on the front and rear. Its the stickiest tire made.

The 739 is the harder compound Dunlop. The 756 is the softest compound, and the 952 is in the middle of the two.

I personally use 952's.

You answered your own question. I ride all terrains and have the Maxxis desert It's although if I could change anytihng it would be to do exactly what you said. Dessert IT maxcross in the rear and the IT or SI in the front. Rocky mountain atv.com sells them both for around 80 bucks, mine were 92$ delivered for both!!! I have an honest 900 miles on mine of hard hard riding with 250 being street and not a chunk out of any knobs and at least 35 to 40 % left. There really might as well be no other tire on the market cause these things are the best by far take my word for it, you will never run any other tire after riding these, they are perfect in all terrains and last forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just put on some Bridgestones yesterday 201/202 in place of a 739front and a 755rear. Anyone have any input on these???

Just do yourself a favior get the maxxis Si up front and the IT for the back. Money well spent. I changed a few minds on tires this weekend when we had our spring poker run. My tires saved my a$$ from certain doom 3 times and one of those was from falling off a rock face. That SI is a god send, trust me you will not be sorry!!

On my second set of Dunlop 756s and i'll be getting another once these have worn out. It's like you can feel the dirt through the bars!!

I'm all about the Maxxis IT's. Put a new set on just last month and suddenly my front tire didn't slip out on sketchy single track anymore. Hope it'll keep me from taking so many diggers in the future! That Dunlop 739 front was crap.

They say the maxxis front tyre is crap, so look out! :applause:

Try the Maxxis and then the Dunlop 952 and write up a comparison! I am not game to change from the 952's but am very interested to see the difference between the two.

In reality, any tyres are better then the stockers, they are just crap! We got FIM spec Dunlop 908's here in Australia. I am sure anyone here has better grip than stock since they changed from OEM , and has saved a few people too. I know my front end used to wash out a bit with the OEM tyre on, but sticks like glue, with no other changes (before my suspension got done).

Oh, just about forgot of my other questions.

Rocky mountain dont have my tire size on there web sight. (my stock:110/90-19 ). All they list is 110/100-18 :applause: I know the 18" stands for rim size, but what do the 110,100 and 120/110 stand for, and does any know the biggest tire that will fit on my '01 426 :D

Have you got a 19" or 18" rim?

The 120, 110, 100 (first number) is the width in mm.

The 100, 90, 80 (second number) is the height of the tyre as percentage of the width.

If you want biggest tyre, go the 120 (first number).

Have you got a 19" or 18" rim?

Thanks Matty :applause:

The 120, 110, 100 (first number) is the width in mm.

The 100, 90, 80 (second number) is the height of the tyre as percentage of the width.

If you want biggest tyre, go the 120 (first number).

My bike is in my friends shed so all I can go by is my clymer manuall, which says 110/90-19 is stock.

Would there be any benifit to switch to an 18" rim?

and ya, the front maxis tire looks just like the rear, and Kinda wondered about it. Im sure its good but maybe Ill go with a maxis rear and a dunlop front :D

I am almost certain all WR's have 18" rim stock? Even the WR400's.

Benefits are heaps smoother on the trails, as more tyre = extra cushioning.

Also get way less flats. MX is all about weight, and the tracks are relatively smooth, so 19" rim will do.

I am almost certain all WR's have 18" rim stock? Even the WR400's.

Benefits are heaps smoother on the trails, as more tyre = extra cushioning.

Also get way less flats. MX is all about weight, and the tracks are relatively smooth, so 19" rim will do.

Your right Matty!! After that six pack of tall boys last night, I seemed to have missed the part in the manual that said "YZ" :D I was looking at the supplement in the back, and it looks like it was just the yz426 that changed :applause: My rear tire size is 110/100-18. Im gonna order the 120/100-18 and hopefully it fits.

Your right Matty!! After that six pack of tall boys last night, I seemed to have missed the part in the manual that said "YZ" :D I was looking at the supplement in the back, and it looks like it was just the yz426 that changed :applause: My rear tire size is 110/100-18. Im gonna order the 120/100-18 and hopefully it fits.

It will, some people run those 140 - 150 terrorflex tyres or what ever they are called. That is a wide tyre!

I am definitely going to need a rear tire soon as well. All that power just destroys them. I don't have any problems with the stock Dunlop on the rear, but that Maxis tires looks BAD! I really am thinking on changing my front tire and my bike only has 250 miles on it. I lost count how many times I've almost dumped it because that front tire slips off or goes its own way, and not to mention mud for God's sake. Thanks for posting the pic of that tire.

L8R

Terry

:applause: