HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROGGR

06 YZ450 FMF Mega Bomb

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried a new FMF Mega Bomb on their 06 YZ450 yet? If so, how do you like it? A FMF Tech told me it adds a big boost to the bottom end and midrange and a little more over-rev as well. I'm skeptical but interested in finding out more info........

I don't have it on my 06 but it gives you a big boost in power and it also lowers the Db by 6 ( so I have read ). If I had the $350 to get I would.

I happen to have the factory 4.1 canister and megabomb header on my 05 YZ450F, and I can tell you that it has enormous power low to mid range, definitely more than stock. I will be able to make a better judgement after my next trip to the desert, my brother has the same bike with stock exhaust. Peace. -Matt

why would you want to get rid of the already titanium factory front pipe???

Perhaps their looking for a different power curve than stock.

I was lookin to get it for my 426 because if it adds power and lowers the noise then I am all for it

I have a Power bomb on both my 2001 426 and 2005 WR250F, and love what it did for the power. I am not a "over rev" kind of rider. I like the bottom end grunt, so short shift alot of stuff... better traction for me. For the 426, I wanted more low end, and got it, the bike was too snappy otherwise. For the WR, I needed bottom end to help the thing get to moving, with out frying the clutch. FMF told me that these headers were designed for Supercross, in order to get the bike to pull in the mid range harder, in order to launch over the next obstacle. The mega bomb would have probably been a better choice for me and the WR, as I am pretty big for the 250F (6'3", 220#)... it would have given MORE bottom and mid. As far as noise goes, I think it may have changed the sound in the 426 to be more throaty (deeper) which may be alittle easier on the ears. I put the Q exhaust on the WR, so it is already nice and Q!

I have one on my 06 along with the Factory 4.1.The FMF tech told you right.More bottom-mid is noticeable and a hair more on top.It works quite well.

DSCN0233.jpg

I have one on my 06 along with the Factory 4.1.The FMF tech told you right.More bottom-mid is noticeable and a hair more on top.It works quite well.

DSCN0233.jpg

:applause: So sexy!!!!!!!!! :D

DSCN0233.jpg

Thanks for the reply and pic. I wanted to know if it really worked before shell'in out the frogskins for one. Thanks again!

And for everyone that says you dont need a pipe on a 450:

Well I did.I crashed and poped a hole in the stock midpipe and crunched the header.

why would you want to get rid of the already titanium factory front pipe???

UM only probably because the FMF mega -bomb will give the bike way more torque and low to mid range power and comes in that already awsome titanium stuff and looks way better ALSO. .

DSCN0233.jpg

Does the jetting tend to be leaner or richer with this exhaust? Did you have to change the jetting after installing? Thanks :applause:

Basically I just changed the jetting when i was putting the pipe on.I got the specs off of TT.I believe its a 170main,48 piolt,and lower the clip one.I am not positive but thats what comes to the top of my head.

I tried a FMF mega bomb Saturday and I must say I was very dissappointed! It smoothed the power down low and would work better for trail riding but it really cut the h.p. through the mid and top end. It felt really really slow. So I strapped on my trusty GPS and set it to the max speed setting and headed for a steep hillclimb. Went over the hill several times and then changed headers and repeated. I was right, the stock header was quite a bit faster up the hill! The FMF is quite a bit smaller in diameter and everytime I've tried a pipe that was smaller than stock it has always cut peak power! And this time was no exception. The FMF tail section that I'm running did add quite a bit of power and I'm really happy with that! I was able to return the FMF header to the distributor for a full refund. Now I can concentrate on internal motor mods that actually work! :applause: Thanks for all of the replys!

I tried a FMF mega bomb Saturday and I must say I was very dissappointed! It smoothed the power down low and would work better for trail riding but it really cut the h.p. through the mid and top end. It felt really really slow. So I strapped on my trusty GPS and set it to the max speed setting and headed for a steep hillclimb. Went over the hill several times and then changed headers and repeated. I was right, the stock header was quite a bit faster up the hill! The FMF is quite a bit smaller in diameter and everytime I've tried a pipe that was smaller than stock it has always cut peak power! And this time was no exception. The FMF tail section that I'm running did add quite a bit of power and I'm really happy with that! I was able to return the FMF header to the distributor for a full refund. Now I can concentrate on internal motor mods that actually work! :applause: Thanks for all of the replys!

Wait a sec,

Are you riding Motocross or hill climbs?I know that the FMF pipe added a nice deal of low end hit.Did you rejet your bike?If you did what jets are you running?