XR 600 CDI Performance Box - worth it??

mine went out today, 86 xr6. i was just going to ask the same thing. wonder if it will work on 86 looks like the same thing is available at dennis kirk.

While I'm sure that it would work, there is a price to be paid. That price is reduced longevity. I think that the stock CDI keeps the RPMs less than 7500 or so. Higher revs will wear the engine much quicker. Engines have 2 redlines. The first is really a wear limit. If you go above it, the engine wears much quicker. Especially the piston and bore. The other is where really bad things start to occur, like it blows up.

besides the red line issue, the add mentions that it changes the ignition curve. what effect does this have on the bike? I normally like to lug my bikes anyway, so I knowing that the red line has been raised I would keep the rpm's down.

besides the red line issue, the add mentions that it changes the ignition curve. what effect does this have on the bike?

It will advance the spark sooner and/or more.

Result is typically more power and better mileage.

Downside is it increases the required octane - can't say how much from here.

--Soren

I have one on my 96 XR600R, and it works great, you just need self control, don't rev the piss out of it, I have been running it for over two years now without any problems, and over 2000 miles in the desert, still runs perfect. :excuseme:

kellismechanic,

what are the differences you noticed between the stock unit and the aftermarket one?

Jon-D, I noticed more torque and pull through the rpm range, but I re-jetted my Mikuni 41 at the same time.

I think it is worth the money, but that is just my opinion. :excuseme: