Air filter question please-xr650l-

I have all the carb mods and use a UNI (foam/oil) it's worked great. Have two of them, one is always "drip drying" oil. I clean the spare filter, saturated it with filter oil, put it in a plastic bag and let it drip excess oil. The when I'm ready to change filters no problems with excess oil dripping on the bike.

I once read a air filter test in an off road mag. It said that the stock paper unit flowed as much air as the K&n except when wet. The foam oiled filter flowed the least but was better than the others when wet and muddy.

I once read a air filter test in an off road mag. It said that the stock paper unit flowed as much air as the K&n except when wet. The foam oiled filter flowed the least but was better than the others when wet and muddy.

Tests like this, I assume they put it on a flow bench or some such thing. Or did they do a dyno test? If they dyno-ed, I'd hope they'd re-jet.

Problem with a flow bench is it doesn't recreate any of the chaotic behavior an in-service filter sees. All kinds of shock waves, the flow bunching just after the filter, all kinds of stuff.

I just switched from a K&N to a uni- have to get a ride in and see how it feels.

Dave

Was this article about cars or bikes?

I got my bike secondhand, it came with the stock paper element installed and a k&n. I bought one new paper element, rather pricey to throw away when it's dirty.

I'll agree that foam is better protection for your engine, but seat of the pants testing tells me K&N is far superior to the paper element for throttle response. :applause:

K&N's filter better dirty, so the filter service intervals might be less often than foam, but your engine will likely last longer with foam.

I don't like K&N's seal to the airbox, it had a self adhesive foam ring that didn't last too long, so I seal it down with a very very thin bead of hi temp rtv, it's ON there until i pry it loose. :D

I read this in either petersons or the other mag about 10years ago when it was being passed around the shop. One of the mechanics had been running his Mud rail with a K&N but would put a foam filter over it. He seemed to think from his experience that the test was correct.

Originally posted by ZodranI don't like K&N's seal to the air box, it had a self adhesive foam ring that didn't last too long, so I seal it down with a very very thin bead of hi temp rtv, it's ON there until i pry it loose.

I used a razor blade and cut the foam seal off the stock filter, then used Permatex ultra-blue gasket glue to bond it to the base of the K&N filter because I too had reservations about the stick on gasket that came with the K&N filter. I then round filed the stick on gasket the K&N filter came with.

I used a razor blade and cut the foam seal off the stock filter, then used Permatex ultra-blue gasket glue to bond it to the base of the K&N filter because I too had reservations about the stick on gasket that came with the K&N filter. I then round filed the stick on gasket the K&N filter came with.

That's where it belongs, a few hundred miles and it's squishy goo anyway. IIRC the paper element had a nice supple, pliant, confidence inspiring base gasket, good on ya for saving what works! :applause:

• 8 years later...