Tough decision to make...Help?

I'm at a crossroads. I currently own a Yamaha Grizzly, it's fun and all but I miss 2 wheels. I owned an RM125 a few years back but then got lazy with the utility quads. While I've had fun on it, the riding around here is limited. They're more riding opportunities for dirtbikes. Including a some legal trails down the street from me. I'm just torn as to what kind of bike I should get. I trail ride and used to do so with my RM. Right now (keeping price in mind) I'm looking into used dirtbikes. I've always had good luck with yamahas, so the WR400 and WR426's are looking good price wise in the used market. I'm also considering an XR400. I'm a big guy 6'3 265lbs I feel I ride my grizzly pertty agressive. More like a sport quad than a lumbering utility. But at the same time, I'm not a speed freak and like to just trail ride. Which bike should I get and why?

I believe the wr's would be the best choice. They are as reliable as you can get. My opinion could be clouded as I have a wr 450,250,yz250f,ttr125,and a yam. bruin all stuffed in the garage! :applause:

I've always had good luck with yamahas, so the WR400 and WR426's are looking good price wise in the used market. I'm also considering an XR400. I'm a big guy 6'3 265lbs I feel I ride my grizzly pertty agressive. More like a sport quad than a lumbering utility. But at the same time, I'm not a speed freak and like to just trail ride. Which bike should I get and why?

Those would be good choices. But don't just narrow it down to the WR's, the YZ's are almost the same bike minus a headlight and a few different adjustments.

Of the three you mentioned, none of them are bad choices. I would choose the wr's (400/426) over the xr400 though.

What would I need to add to YZ to make it like a WR for the woods? Withouth the obvious things such as a headlight.

What would I need to add to YZ to make it like a WR for the woods? Withouth the obvious things such as a headlight.

Just buy a WR the YZ's are too loud and suspension is stiffer for MX.

It's easier and cheaper to uncork a WR then to add a lighting coil ,quieter exhaust and suspension work you need to make a YZ woods freindly. The older WR's when uncorked and YZ timmed are very fast.

How much does suspension work cost to get set up for my weight?

How much does suspension work cost to get set up for my weight?

You can get away with just re-springing, if you do it your self which is very easy with a manual in hand you can do it for under $250 including new fork seals and oil. Since your looking at used bikes it may be one of things you look for in a bike that the prior owner already did :applause:

The XR400 is a good bike but a WR will eat it alive in respect to high performance and the WR is on par with the XR's reliability, JUST KEEP THE OIL CHANGED!!!!

I would not recommend the YZF unless you plan on doing a good mix of MX. Some guys claim they are good woods bikes but no one I've ridden with that has one claims that.

Good luck :D

Sounds good. I'm mechanically inclined so I think I could handle that! Good deal.

Of the three you mentioned, none of them are bad choices. I would choose the wr's (400/426) over the xr400 though.

I have to agree. Comparing a XR to a WR is like comparing an apple to an orange, both fruit but totally different. My 02 426 still RIPS!