New owner

I just picked up a new WR 426 after selling my XR 400.... I dont even have the time to ride for about a week.. Can someone give me the info on starting these things... I know there is a drill and I would love to find out about it thru here and not trial and error... Also need to know about the quick fixes, I understand I need to cut the throttle stop???? Help please..... Riding blue but still wearing red, unfortunately......

Read your manual (it's all in there, trust me)or visit the yamaha website for an illustrated version. That is the most comprehensive manual I've ever seen that came stock with a bike, won't hurt to leave it in the bathroom for some quality reading and brush up on a few of the tuning and maintanence things.

BTW, the search feature is not working for me.

Don't forget to leave the throttle alone under any conditions. The above starting drill is for cold start. If engine is at operating temp, use hot start (red button) instead of choke. If you have been running in last 1/2 hour, but not at full operating temp, use no buttons. See, it's simple. But if you crack the throttle, you're on your own. If I follow this procedure, mine starts first kick EVERY TIME. If I don't, forget it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dan from HB:

Don't forget to leave the throttle alone under any conditions. The above starting drill is for cold start. If engine is at operating temp, use hot start (red button) instead of choke. If you have been running in last 1/2 hour, but not at full operating temp, use no buttons. See, it's simple. But if you crack the throttle, you're on your own. If I follow this procedure, mine starts first kick EVERY TIME. If I don't, forget it.

True except on mine after sitting for a week or so I have to give it a quick squirt or two from the throttle. Then I take my hand off the throttle and kick. After not riding it for 5 months (jetski season), I gave it my quick squirt and second kick it fired up. I discovered this when it was BRAND new. Got home from the shop with my new 01 WR426. Brag to my wife about how easy it is to start! 25 kicks later I'm ready to sell it! @#$@#*@@)@, I think! Next day I twist twice, let go of it and kick. Lights right up! No problem since..

Brian

Starting the bike is criminally easy. Pull the choke on. Push the kickstarter until it gets really hard to push. Stop at this point and pull in the compression release lever and push the kickstarter just a teeny bit more. Got that? Ok, let go of the compression release lever and allow the kickstarter to come ALL the way back. Now boot the kickstart firmly through its entire arc. If it doesn't start perform the aforementioned exercise one or two more times. Voila! The WR 400 is alive. If this doesn't work for you, you must take the time to learn the other infinite number of options to start the WR 400. It will take time for you to find the one that works.