HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dukeryder

38 MPG L Model?

18 posts in this topic

Well before I did the Dave's carb mods, I figured I was getting 45-48mpg, the last few times I've run the bike down to the reserve and filled it back up, and I've noticed less range now than when I first added the new tank (like 45miles less range), today I was able to pump 4.69 Gallons into my tank and was only able to acheive 200miles (indicated on odo which is 10% off, so that's how I come up with the 38mpg).

Is this in line with what most of you are getting?

BTW this is a lot of WFO and Slab running to and from work 20miles each way.

I never really checked when the bike was stock, but now with a WB2 pipe and Dynojet kit plus 75mph fwy driving 30mi a day, I only get 36-38mpg. I also run 14/48 gears (I like to save the front tire rubber). :applause:

I'm still getting around 47 mpg. The WFO is going to hurt that along with gearing and rear tire size.

I get 35mpg with my L with jetting and Big Gun Quiet pipe. Can't remember the gearing right now, but it's geared towards freeway riding. Just glad I have a 4 gallon tank!

I get about 40 unless I hit it real hard.

14/48 with smog and carb mods, stock pipe.

Well I guess I ain't doin' too badly then. I'd like to be getting better but haulin' ass and hittin' the slab is the fastest way to work, going through the city with all the lights/stop signs sucks in this heat.

These pigs are thirsty little sows. Big singles that have been rejetted are going to gulp down lots of extra fuel. I get around the same mpg since I'm always twisting it WFO! :applause:

You could ride much more conservatively & get a lot better mileage, but we all know that ain't no fun...

Yeah, with daves mods stock exhaust I can still get close to 50 miles a gallon riding conservative to work and back on my commuter. When I'm letting her rip I'd say about 45.

I'm in the same ballpark. I used to get about 50-52 mpg totally stock, no matter how hard i beat on it. after the hotcam, airbox, and daves mods, I'm running about 38 or so usually. It almost doesn't seem worth it, it wasn't THAT big of a power gain. With the kinda riding I do, fuel range is more important than 1 or 2 more hp. My next bike will stay stock in the motor dept.

I agree, I think some of the carb mods are overrated. I have one stock that runs just as well overall as the modded bikes. Great throttle response, average running temp 225-240, overall great runner. I think its just an individual thing, but to me I don't think its always necessary, just depends on bike and owner.