HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr650r_Maine

chain guard

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if they make a chain guard for the xr650r, I have to have one on to pass inspection in Maine. Wondering if the 650l`s would fit? Thanks

the L one would work but you would have to weld mounting tabs on the swingarm, quite the permanent fix

I'm not up on what's available, but if a guy is handy you could probably make one. I would think about making some brackets to clamp around the swingarm, and make the guard itself out of lexan.

Lexan is incredibly tough, you can bend it cold in a sheetmetal brake. If you made clamp brackets you wouldn't have to mess with welding on mounting tabs.

It's just for inspection purposes, right? :applause:

What purpose is a chain guard for anyway? I think it's dumb some states require it. Look at MX'rs and other off road thumpers. Do they have have a chain guard, Heck no! And these bikes take much more of a thrashing than a bike that is going to be ridden on the street.

What purpose is a chain guard for anyway? I think it's dumb some states require it. Look at MX'rs and other off road thumpers. Do they have have a chain guard, Heck no! And these bikes take much more of a thrashing than a bike that is going to be ridden on the street.

I agree with you. But I guess it`s for a the girl/kids that sits on back so nothing gets caught in the chain/sprocket etc, Thats what I think.... Needless to say I still need it to pass... :applause: