chain guard

Does anybody know if they make a chain guard for the xr650r, I have to have one on to pass inspection in Maine. Wondering if the 650l`s would fit? Thanks

the L one would work but you would have to weld mounting tabs on the swingarm, quite the permanent fix

I'm not up on what's available, but if a guy is handy you could probably make one. I would think about making some brackets to clamp around the swingarm, and make the guard itself out of lexan.

Lexan is incredibly tough, you can bend it cold in a sheetmetal brake. If you made clamp brackets you wouldn't have to mess with welding on mounting tabs.

It's just for inspection purposes, right? :applause:

Yes just for inspection. then take off till next year...

What purpose is a chain guard for anyway? I think it's dumb some states require it. Look at MX'rs and other off road thumpers. Do they have have a chain guard, Heck no! And these bikes take much more of a thrashing than a bike that is going to be ridden on the street.

What purpose is a chain guard for anyway? I think it's dumb some states require it. Look at MX'rs and other off road thumpers. Do they have have a chain guard, Heck no! And these bikes take much more of a thrashing than a bike that is going to be ridden on the street.

I agree with you. But I guess it`s for a the girl/kids that sits on back so nothing gets caught in the chain/sprocket etc, Thats what I think.... Needless to say I still need it to pass... :applause: