98 YZ400, 00 YZ426, and 03-05 YZ450

I have a couple questions containing problems with the 98 YZ400 and the 00 YZ426. I have been trying to search it but couldnt really find anything. I am looking to get some kind of yamaha 4 stroke and heard about the problems with the 98 yz400 and 00 yz426 due to they were new type of bikes. What were these type of problems and are they serious? Also, was the 03-05 yz450 all 4 speed trannys? I know I could get used to a 4 speed tranny but how does that play out? Are they just long gears almost like a wr? Thank you.

Not sure of the problems that the 98YZ400 had or any problems with the 00YZ426. Yamaha's YZ/WR 4 strokes are great bikes--very reliable. I know of one guy that says he has put 10,000 miles on his Wr450. The 03-05 YZ450's are four speeds--I ride with one guy that rides his YZ450 in the woods I think he just changed the front and rear sprockets for trail riding.

If you are looking for a YZ 450 --I have a 04 YZ450 for sale.

Im not sure about 98 but '00 has a grabby clutch problem and some don't have very good front brakes(mine are fine so is my clutch) but they are all great bikes so any year would be good.

I'm looking at an 00 426 the guy said hes gone though clutches like a mofo. I was told to put the 450 push rods,ball bearing, friction plate and dill holes in the basket, put stiffer springs. try the 01&02 426 they're good

Ya well I wasnt sure of the probs but basically they told me to stay away from the new year like the hop from the 99 400 to a 00 426 or the introduction of the 98 400 and so forth... Now I am not a rider who can really tell a diff between diff way the bikes feel and so forth except for power... Since I am moving down from my 500 i dont think ill be able to tell the diff in power... I was thiking a 400 or 426 just depends on the deal i can get... what do you all think and is there something on a certain year i should check out and so forth? Thank you for your help...

I haven't had a problem with my '01 426F. The '00 just had a couple of minor issues that needed ironing out, and can easily be fixed. The '01 still has the grabby clutch problem, and the front brakes are awful, but both can be fixed, for a price.

My 98 400 has been a trooper so far. Minor issues but I think they were because of the previouse owner. I'd look for one that was well taken care of. The valve train on the 400 is stronger than the newer model.. I got mine real cheap and it needed some work, but so far I love it. there is a pic of it in my garage :applause:

Thats a nice bike One Louder... I was thinking about getting something like that so id be little cheaper than a 426... Another thing, what do you mean by the grabby clutch problem? And how were the front brakes awful?

One Louder, on your 98 yz400 what were the issues you had to work out so just in case I get a bike with probs I can relate to this topic... Thanks...

I have a couple questions containing problems with the 98 YZ400 and the 00 YZ426. I have been trying to search it but couldnt really find anything. I am looking to get some kind of yamaha 4 stroke and heard about the problems with the 98 yz400 and 00 yz426 due to they were new type of bikes. What were these type of problems and are they serious? Also, was the 03-05 yz450 all 4 speed trannys? I know I could get used to a 4 speed tranny but how does that play out? Are they just long gears almost like a wr? Thank you.

How much money are you wanting to spend? Most 00 owners fixed the clutch - some baskets were blowing up and some had grabbiness - can be fixed easily

03-05 are all 4speeds - no problems at all getting used to it unless you are desert racing

Buy the newest you can afford - my 2cents :applause:

Well its not even affording it... Its basically like say how fast I want a 4 stroke... If I sell my 500 I can use the money I have now to get a yz400 but if I wait a lil longer I can get a 426 and even longer a 450...

For all of you 03-05 450 owners... I basically just climb hills and go topspeed as much as I can down the country roads but I do occasionally race... Is the 4 speed tranny easy to get use to? Is it just really long gears? I am used to a 5 speed and 6 speed so it shouldt be hard to get use to it...

Also, any probs with the 03-05 450s? Thanks for the help...

Actually take that last post back since I found out that the 03-05 450s are red sticker correct? Just wanted to clarify that up which clarified my decision... Thanks everyone for all the help and maybe less than a month or perhaps more I may be on a yz 4 stroke...

The 98 and 99 400's are probably the most reliable engines out there! Not taking anything away from the newer bikes, but the valve train and top end components are as solid as an old Honda XR. I can't figure why any of the big name companies went to Ti valves which seem to shorten the lives of their bikes. I really don't think that 99.9% of us normal riders would be able to feel the difference if the bikes came with the steel valves like those that the 400's came with.

i have an 00 426, and it's been the best bike i've ever owned.. not a single problem and to this day still starts 1st or 2nd kick (even cold).. and i've never been out run by a 450! i'll never sell my 426

Thats a nice bike One Louder... I was thinking about getting something like that so id be little cheaper than a 426... Another thing, what do you mean by the grabby clutch problem? And how were the front brakes awful?

One Louder, on your 98 yz400 what were the issues you had to work out so just in case I get a bike with probs I can relate to this topic... Thanks...

Thanks. actually the only issues were not really mechanical problems at all. There is a plate on the front of the slide in the Carb that broke bacause I removed its gasket :prof: . A bolt holding on my flywheel weight broke and knocked a hole in my ignition cover :bonk: New front brake pads, plastic, sprockets... The more I think about it I can't really think of one major problem yet... aside from ripping the crap out of my new rear tires. The power is impressive to say the least :applause: Just keep your eyes peeled for a good deal, IMO you would do well to get a 400, 426, or a 450

BTW on my bike with the stock sprockets I was catching and passing cars on the interstate were the speed limit is 75 :D:prof: