HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flubber

which chain and sprockets would you buy?

8 posts in this topic

Hello again. My 650L needs a new chain and sprockets. The last time I purchased a chain and sprocket was back in 1993. Needless to say I have no idea which brands are better than others. I see the jt sprockets are reasonably priced as compared to the renthals. Will the renthals hold up better being they are higher priced or are you paying for the name? I also need a new chain and have no clue what to put on it. I was thinking of a did x-ring or a rk x-ring. Are these chains a little overkill for this bike? Am I overlooking another brand that will hold up the same for less money? I'm clueless.......flubber

I prefer only steel sprockets, and either O-ring, or X-ring chains ... I'm running a new set of "Primary Drive" ... ... I think theyre the 'house-brand' of RockyMountainmc ... very strong specs, and so far, so good ...

:applause:

My original rear sprocket from my 1995 XR650L has over 40,000 miles on it, and no measurable wear at all. It outlasted five chains and three countershaft sprockets. If I had to put it back on the bike, I would not hesitate. Not bad.. Five chains and three countershafts worn from the purchase date in May of 1996 to January of 2003.

I replaced it with an Ironman Sprocket in 2003 because I worked there at the time.

I have over 12,000 miles on the Ironman rear sprocket and it is showing no signs of wear. It should last just as well as the orignal rear Sunstar sprocket.

DO NOT install a rear aluminum sprocket on any motorcycle. That is the worst material to use for a sprocket. The unsprung weight savings on a 650L is not significant.

I prefer only steel sprockets, and either O-ring, or X-ring chains ... I'm running a new set of "Primary Drive" ... ... I think theyre the 'house-brand' of RockyMountainmc ... very strong specs, and so far, so good ...

:applause:

I have 3000 miles on my Primary Drive combo and have no complaints. Best price I've found too.