dies when put in gear

I would verify the kick stand switch is bypassed,check to see you didn't unplug any wires in the loom when you did your valve adjust, and make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly.

i did a valve adjustment on a 93 xr650l and now it idles perfect but when i put it in gear it shuts off, like a kickstand cut off would do. please help.

Time to bypass the safetys, all of them. You can bypass only the clutch switch at the handlebar by grounding out both wires, or by connecting them together, as a starting point for troubleshooting. :applause:

Me? I bypassed all of them, neutral, kickstand & clutch by connecting the (proper) light green & light green & white striped wires together located under the seat. I think I even posted another member's pic that helped me here or on 4strokes.com.

I don't like those Highway Institute safetys just for the fact the switches can fail as you've described & in a location far away from assistance. Plus, I want to be able to start my bike in gear, with the kickstand down & with the clutch out, or with any combination of the above, especially when riding off-road. :D

Good luck

What I meant is that sometimes even with your clutch lever fully pressed in?when you rev it still you can feel the bike go fwd so if you're somewhere near iddle the drag could make it stall,just a guess but still...anyways let us know

hey Dual Dog whats this wire splicing?? geen, white wires?? tell me more??

This is the best way to bypass ALL safetys. You can eliminate all the side stand electrical wiring & switch also, but I left mine in place since the idiot light still comes as reminder to (help) keep you from tripod-ding if for some idiotic reason you forget retract the kickstand... :prof:

kickstandswitchbypass.jpg

I can't take credit for this one. Another member over at xrlug@yahoo.com called sixpepper posted this photo over there a long time ago. I just copied it & have been reposting it for other L riders since it's a frequently asked about mod. :applause:

There are no instructions but if you do it right you can undo this & return the wires to their orginal configuration, mean no cutting is necessary. Look for the connector under the seat, locate the wires & connect them together. That's it. :D

Don't ask me how it works, I only know it does. :prof:

i know how it works all it does is jump the wires so it completes the circuit so it is like the switch is operating

I think we got the "why" already figured out. You can do the why on all the individual safetys, one by one, on the XRL. This particular combo takes care of them all, one time. :applause:

How it bypasses all of them is another matter. If you hadn't seen the photo, you'd need to study the schematic to figure out exactly which wires to connect without leaving any of the other circuits open & hope you got it right. This way someone else did that for you...