Scotts re-usable oil filters? good or no?

I am getting ready to do the first oil change in my new bike (113 miles) and i picked up some castrol gtx 10w-40 and am now wondering if i should get a stock honda oil filter or one of these reuseable scotts filters, they are 70 dollars on there web site.

What do you guys think of them?

Thanks, mark

Oh, and the bike is a 06 xr650l if that matters, thanks

I prefer the paper filter because they are inexpensive and there is no maintenance associated with them. for 70 bucks I can buy allot of paper filters, and don’t have to clean them when I am done, just throw them away.

I like my Scotts, have one on my XR650L for couple years now ... I like it better than the two-piece ones I've seen ... :ride:

My Honda dealer is only a 5min. ride (Nice ride too)

and they stock the 650L filters.

I cant complain. :ride:

I am getting ready to do the first oil change in my new bike (113 miles) and i picked up some castrol gtx 10w-40 and am now wondering if i should get a stock honda oil filter or one of these reuseable scotts filters, they are 70 dollars on there web site.

What do you guys think of them?

Thanks, mark

Is that oil motorcycle specific (I don't think so, but I could be mistaken)? If it is not motorcylce specific you risk damaging your clutch.

I like my Scotts, have one on my XR650L for couple years now ... I like it better than the two-piece ones I've seen ... :ride:

Two-piece filter??? I've heard of the Scotts filters of course (Scotts makes quality products), and Rocky Mtn has some called Ready Filter for quite a bit less $ has anyone used one of those? Are they the two piece filter you're referring to?

might be, I dont remember the brand name, the two-piece ones I saw were anodized, real pretty, lol ... I thought the one-piece Scotts was much better construction, and the filter screen just 'looked' better to me ... :ride:

so is castrol gtx good or not for my bike?

theres soooo many opinions i cant seem to pick the right oil

Oh boy, a which oil question - let the arguing begin. I have always used Castrol 20-50 to break in my bikes, then switched to 15-50 Mobil 1 synthetic - never had a problem, clutch or otherwise. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

Agent 2 provided very sound advice. I pretty much did the same. Mobil 1 15w50 is very good stuff and if you review the oil analysis's, you will see it isn't much different than the motorcycle specific Mobil1 that costs more.

soill be ok running the castrol gtx 10w40...or is it to light?

I will porbably run it for only 200 miles for a total of only 313 on my bike...then switch to mobil 1, that should be good right?

Im also going to buy the scotts filter ii think.

I run castrol 20/50 cause it is easy to get.(if on road dual sporting & happen to need some at 7-11) My ol 1971 SL350 owners manuel said to run a quality 30 wt non-detergent. So we always ran quakerstate. The SL350 don't have a filter , but do have a screen ( not very fine). The bike is still good today & I abused it real good . Never have had to go inside motor yet. I do change oil frequently when more than 6 months old or about every 4th- 5th ride when it starts looking dark. & change filter every other time. My .02

Is that oil motorcycle specific (I don't think so, but I could be mistaken)? If it is not motorcylce specific you risk damaging your clutch.

Don't worry,I've been using that oil in my '05L and haven't had any problems at all.Right now my bike is in the 7K+ and still counting :applause: