HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtraveller

Cheap Lighting

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone made their own HID or halogen lighting for a thumper? I saw Baja Designs prices, and I can't afford it. I would still like to be able to see in the dark. I just can't see paying that much.

I've seen kits on ebay that retrofit the standard light bulbs to HID. They had an H4 version. I think it ran about $250 for 2, but don't depend on that figure...

That's what a buddy of mine did. Bought the retro-fit kit, comes as a pair of lights, so find someone who wants to split the kit with you. He just built 2, one as a backup, since they were for a nightrace.

Has anyone made their own HID or halogen lighting for a thumper? I saw Baja Designs prices, and I can't afford it. I would still like to be able to see in the dark. I just can't see paying that much.

The bikes that this forum is about all have lights. I think you can upgrade the stock system up to a 55 watt bulb.

Right now, I'm running a 55/100 watt H4 halogen. The 100 watt is still not bright enough to race with, or ride fast for that matter. It's not just the wattage, but the beam pattern. An 8" euro type lens should do the trick.

Right now, I'm running a 55/100 watt H4 halogen. The 100 watt is still not bright enough to race with, or ride fast for that matter. It's not just the wattage, but the beam pattern. An 8" euro type lens should do the trick.

I have a 90/100 H4 in mine and I know what you are talking about. It makes a lot of light, but not in the right place. I'm guessing that you have an aftermarket stator and have 200+ watts available. It's focused straight ahead too much. One possibility is to use those extra watts on some wider beam lamps. I've been playing around with using some flood type MR16 (2 inch) or MR11(1.5 inch) 12 volt halogens. I'm making a bracket that will attach to the lower fork pinch bolts.

As far as getting the light where it needs to go, a helmet lamp, using a pencil beam MR11, cant be beat.

I have a 90/100 H4 in mine and I know what you are talking about. It makes a lot of light, but not in the right place...

I've also used the 90/100 H4 like you and its a lot of light for most people. It's great for playing at slow to moderate speeds or for trails, etc, but things get weird to me with the shadows and stuff past ~50 MPH without enough light. Also, the color temperature of the light is just as important.