HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
feti

Spots to avoid while pressure washing

7 posts in this topic

Are there a list of spots I need to avoid when pressure washing my '06 YZ450? I have an exhaust plug. I also realize I need to cover/plug the airbox holes on each side of the seat. But other than that, are there any parts that I must avoid? Possibly the carborator or anything that may leak if I was it?

FYI: I probably will adjust the spray nozzle so it's not targetted, but more of a mist, with the hopes of not hitting a single spot with full pressure.

Just pull the air filter out and cover it with an air box cover and pressure wash the vent holes and not worry about it.

Are there a list of spots I need to avoid when pressure washing my '06 YZ450? I have an exhaust plug. I also realize I need to cover/plug the airbox holes on each side of the seat. But other than that, are there any parts that I must avoid? Possibly the carborator or anything that may leak if I was it?

FYI: I probably will adjust the spray nozzle so it's not targetted, but more of a mist, with the hopes of not hitting a single spot with full pressure.

Yes avoid direct pressure on your fork seals - it is easy to blow dirt deep into the seals and cause leakage. And completely avoid the steering head top and bottom bearings - water is sucked into these somehow..... :ride:

Avoid all bushings,bearings and seals. Use the power washer only for blasting off heavy mud under fenders and spokes and such. Also, stay away from o- ring chains.

Visualize the interface between any seal and its shaft, and any gasketed joint and avoid spraying at close range on a parallel to that. Back off when spraying around the carb, and spray the chain only from the sides, most especially if you are using an O-ring chain. Try to picture how water would enter a joint, and avoid being closer than 30 degrees to that joint (45 is better) whenever possible.

using a good bike cleaner such as muc-off or pro-clean will help things alot, you spray it on leave for a couple of minutes and rinse off. It breaks the dirt down so you don't need much pressure to get the grime off! :ride:

I don't recomend using a pressure washer at all... water at 3000 psi is just too hard to control. just use your hose and a sponge or rag :ride: