HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knutestoner

'85 XL600R compression check question

1 post in this topic

Just bought an 85 XL600R with 12,000 miles. It needed new tires so I took it to the local Honda dealer and had the valves adjusted and a compression check done also. It seems to run strong and but I thought a compression check might show how much life might be left before a top end rebuild was neccessary. Here's the interesting part. I called in to find out what the compression was and the mechanic stated 120psi! According to the Clymer manual it should be within 5 to 10 pounds of 175psi. I brought this to their attention and the service manager stated that the mechanic said his gauge could be off and that he had taken the bike out for a ride and it seemed to run fine. Yeah........ The service manager then told me that every bike is a "little different" and not to worry about it. I doubt they even did the check. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated as I'm not very mechanically inclined. Whose right.....Clymer or the mechanic? Thanks.