Xr650l Vs A 600r?

Hello,

I need a dual sport bike. I want a true off road bike, but I need it to be street legal. Can I get a 650L close to the performance of a 600R without spending a fortune? Please help with mods necessary to make the 650L a true preformer if possible. Thanks :ride:

Hello,

I need a dual sport bike. I want a true off road bike, but I need it to be street legal.

Well technically, you have just asked for two different things! If you want a dualsport (and ride a good portion on the street) the 650L is your bike..and is reasonably off road capable. Leave it alone and enjoy it. If you want a dirt bike (with an ability to blast down an occasional back road) get a 650R or 450X, etc., and throw a street plate on it. :ride:

The XRL might have similar specs in suspension and chassis, but the bike is burdened with a lot of extra stuff ie battery, starter motor, ac regulator, extra wiring etc that put its weight up around 12 kilograms over a 600. If you're going to do some reasonably serious dirt riding, i wouldn't even think about buying the 650L.

The XRL might have similar specs in suspension and chassis, but the bike is burdened with a lot of extra stuff ie battery, starter motor, ac regulator, extra wiring etc that put its weight up around 12 kilograms over a 600. If you're going to do some reasonably serious dirt riding, i wouldn't even think about buying the 650L.

plus it is high up weight.

that mofo battery on the left hand side has got to kill handling.

I think that the weight diff for the 650L is even more than that. If I remember correctly, the claimed weight is 272 vs 324 or a 52 pound (20kg) weight penalty for the 650L. My 600 comes in closer to 280 than 270 when I weighed mine dry. That extra weight can be a real killer. I have ridden both and I prefer my 600 for the dirt.

I want a true off road bike

I want a true off road bike.

I want a true off road bike.

I want a true off road bike. Echo....echo...echo....

650L is out.

I love mine, but it is what it is, and I use it for what it is. A compromise between street/dirt. I cannot see ever using it in the dirt like a bike that is set up for the dirt.

I've spent hours on the 2000 600r of my brothers, and I own a '98 650L. I wouldn't call the difference "huge" at all. They're both heavy bikes, they both really show it on the trails. The tires make a huge difference, the L being used on the road naturally shouldn't have as aggressive tires. I have new ones coming for my L, right now it is using deathwings (now I know why they're called that), once it gets some decent tires on it I will be even more capable on the trails.

For me, I'm a big guy anyway 6'1" 255lbs wrestling the L or the R isn't any huge difference and the e start spoiled me in about 5 minutes. As far as power, my L has a hot cam in it, all the normal tweaks, rejetting, yoshimura exhaust. The 600r is tweaked too, both have similar (crazy) power.

It's a give and take deal, I like my 650L alot, it's legal and runs good on the street as is, has crazy power, good on trails, and I LIKE the e start.

If you really look at them closely, the 650L and 600R have the same frame and the same suspension. Actually, if I remember correctly, the 650L has a larger diameter rear shock.

The 650L just comes with a 50cc larger motor, starter, battery, metal tank and street legal stuff. That's where your weight is. Strip off the heavy stock crap (tank, smog controls, exhaust, etc...) for light aftermarket parts, respring it for offroad, put some real tires on it and enjoy!

There was an article on the Dirtrodders website that listed a way to drop 20-25lbs off the 650L and gain a bunch of HP for less than $1k. That's new part prices...buy used and it'll be less than that. If you can't find it, e-mail the webmaster there. He's got a stripped down 650L that sees more dirt than pavement.

It'll always be heavier than a 600R because of the magic button, though. That's a tradeoff some guys are pretty happy with.

Peace!

- Erik

If you really look at them closely, the 650L and 600R have the same frame and the same suspension. Actually, if I remember correctly, the 650L has a larger diameter rear shock.

The 650L just comes with a 50cc larger motor, starter, battery, metal tank and street legal stuff. That's where your weight is. Strip off the heavy stock crap (tank, smog controls, exhaust, etc...) for light aftermarket parts, respring it for offroad, put some real tires on it and enjoy!

There was an article on the Dirtrodders website that listed a way to drop 20-25lbs off the 650L and gain a bunch of HP for less than $1k. That's new part prices...buy used and it'll be less than that. If you can't find it, e-mail the webmaster there. He's got a stripped down 650L that sees more dirt than pavement.

It'll always be heavier than a 600R because of the magic button, though. That's a tradeoff some guys are pretty happy with.

Peace!

- Erik

They atually have vastly different frames despite appearances.

Brackets etc are everywhere on the 650L compared to the 600R. They add lotsa weight.

My highly modded "L" will handle anything my 41yr old frame will throw at it and then some. I have yet to climb a hill it wouldnt make, and this Saturday blasted a mad hill while 5 other guys sat and watched and just shook their heads. They were on very capable bikes as well, 2/4 strokes from 250/450cc

Of course my Terraflex loves sick hillclimbs, and the mods have given my engine plenty of grunt to push the beast anywhere you dare to point it. And I dont have to load up bikes and gear...just push the magic button and hit the hills, or cruise the beach.

I think the L is the best all aroud bike EVER built, but only after having done a lot of work refining it. The only other mods I would consider would be rebuilding the suspension..a 720cc kit with hot cam and head pipe, with high compression piston. But I think enough has been done to keep me from killing myself..LOL

Please help with mods necessary to make the 650L a true preformer if possible.
The 650L is a true performer..one of the best at what it's designed for. If it doesn't fit the bill for you it's probably because you are looking at the wrong bike!

I like my 05 650L alot too - all uncorked and outfitted with Dunlop 606's and it only has 1,500 miles on it. However I almost never takle it out in the woods where I ride my XR250R the 250R is just fun and has enough power to do anything I want to do and then some. As a comparison I rode the 650L accross a tight trail tha I regularly traverse on the 250, no problem it did it easily over logs and all, just was "way more bike" tall - heavy feel, suspension - capable but softer and more sprongy feelin, tight steep Z turn uphill, no problem, almost as though it was bored (if it could talk - it would be asking is this all?) but nonetheless I don't feel as confident on the 650, guess I should just ride it more offroad. On the street it is easy to ride and blast although teh Dunlop's give off some vibe and a whire and I think to myself I must be burnin these new skins up! so I sat at home mostly offraod out in back of my place in the woods... safer too, no cars to deal with. One last thing about the 650L you would have to regear it (sprockets) for trail use - stock it is geared too high and I can hard ever get outta 1st or 2nd gear.

I ride mostly dirt (90%)… and I bought an L.

My L sees so little street, it doesn't even have a street tire on it. I’ve put my L on a “super diet” and sure…it’s still heavy, but I’m not complaining – I’ve got muscles, and skill.

The XR600 is a WAY more capable trail bike that handle the road well. The 650L is a unsteerable pig in the slop.”

-I agree. Some people can’t handle an L in the sand…or anywhere for that matter. But some can.

If you're going to do some reasonably serious dirt riding, i wouldn't even think about buying the 650L.”

- I’ve been riding the CA deserts for over 12 yrs. Reasonably serious dirt riding is all I do. I bought an L and I couldn’t be happier.

I cannot see ever using it in the dirt like a bike that is set up for the dirt.”

-I thought the same thing...once

Desert4seat- I probably should have clarified what I meant by "reasonably serious dirt riding" in my last post. When I said this I meant riding in tight, slippery conditions where the extra weight of an XR650L would be a huge liablity, especially on an already heavy big-bore dirtbike. Riding in the desert is a different experience. Sure, theres plenty of loose sand to deal with in some conditions, but generally, higher speeds are attained meaning that the bike doesnt need to be physically "muscled around" nearly as much. This means that that the bigger bikes weight isn't such a disadvantage.