HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geoffsta

Coolant Compatibilty

4 posts in this topic

What coolants are or arent compatable with the original coolant ?

I just want to top mine up without replacing the lot.

I'm using the Prestone-brand antifreeze that states it is compatible with any and all brands. I've mixed it with the stock Yamaha antifreeze without any problems. Be aware that I doubt Engine Ice (Propylene Glycol) will mix with an Ethylene Glycol base antifreeze like Prestone and the rest of the popular brands.

The Manual says :ride: dont mix different types. If they are the same chemicals then OK IMO, otherwise best drain and refill with a readily available one.

BTW: I read where water wetter and distilled H2O provide the greatest cooling capacity. Glycol with corrosion inhibitors have obvious merrit as well...

The Manual says :ride: dont mix different types. If they are the same chemicals then OK IMO, otherwise best drain and refill with a readily available one.

BTW: I read where water wetter and distilled H2O provide the greatest cooling capacity. Glycol with corrosion inhibitors have obvious merrit as well...

I've heard from a few guys now that corrosion inhibitors are useless in the WR motor, since the motor and radiators are aluminum. Which is why I believe Indy_WR450 is able to run Evans NPG-R in the bike without any problems. I may be wrong, but if the entire system is aluminum and rubber, I don't see any use of them either.

M.