HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
punkrock MX

No toil oil problems

21 posts in this topic

im using uni-filters in my 01 cr250, keep in mind i bought both filters new and have only used no toil oil and cleaner. i went to clean the filter yesterday and noticed some sand/dirt particles in the boot. i remember that i didnt oil the yellow filter as well as the outside one, so im thinking that is why, but still..its a 2-stage filter and dirt still got through? i really like the no toil system, but if this keeps up im going to have to go back to regular filter oil and keroscene :ride:

Filters wear out. How old is the filter? How much oil to you put on? how well do you check the seal?

the filter has maybe 3-4 rides on it..its not old at all. i usually cover the whole filter lightly by spreading the oil with my fingers over it. same with the inner filter

the filter has maybe 3-4 rides on it..its not old at all. i usually cover the whole filter lightly by spreading the oil with my fingers over it. same with the inner filter

Do you use grease to seal the front of the filter to the air box? That really helps keep stuff out....use the thickest, stickiest stuff you can find.....vaseline even works.

Do you use grease to seal the front of the filter to the air box? That really helps keep stuff out....use the thickest, stickiest stuff you can find.....vaseline even works.

BLUE WATERPROOF -BEL-REY GREASE!

NOIL TOIL- I USED TO USE IT WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT......... WENT BACK TO SUPER M OR MAX :ride:

ill try some of that!

DON'T USE THE BELRAY WATER PROOF GREASE IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE USING NO TOIL!

The no toil cleaner will not dissolve that.

Are you using the notoil rim sealer grease?

If you're not that's probably the problem.

There's never any firt in my airbox, and i use it as well.

DON'T USE THE BELRAY WATER PROOF GREASE IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE USING NO TOIL!

The no toil cleaner will not dissolve that.

Are you using the notoil rim sealer grease?

If you're not that's probably the problem.

There's never any firt in my airbox, and i use it as well.

yea i figured that since its petrouleum based,however im just going to put a light film on the airbox ring

make sure your filter is coming apart somewhere. no-toil eats the glue in UNI filters. this is a well-known problem. alot of times you can get away with it for a while if you oil the filter, let it dry and put it on the bike, but if you put it in a bag to save as a spare, the carrier (alcohol maybe?) won't evaporate. i believe it is the carrier that actually eats the uni glue.

yes ive heard the no-toil eats unis, however, i put a light layer on the filters and let them dry them put them in my bike. i use 2 uni's and rotate them, but i keep the 2nd one dry after i clean it, in a plastic ziploc bag

i already bought the belray grease..making a trip just for that is gonna suck lol

Hey Velo happened to your Sharks???

umm. they lost.

gotta hand it to edmonton. they played well the whole series i thought.

go ducks. quack.

i usually cover the whole filter lightly by spreading the oil with my fingers over it. same with the inner filter

That's not nearly enough. You have to soak the whole filter in the oil, then squeeze out the excess. Let it dry thoroughly, best over night.

4Takt

That's not nearly enough. You have to soak the whole filter in the oil, then squeeze out the excess. Let it dry thoroughly, best over night.

4Takt

yes ive heard this too, however i'd need to buy that stuff by the gallon

i think that HRC guy, the dude who builds the crf motors on here suggested just putting oil on the inside of the filter, he said by oiling the outside, it just attracts dirt and the vibration of the bike makes the dirt go past the filter..

I had the same problem recently (sucking dirt through the filter) on a brand new Twin-Air on my CR250. I thought it might have been that I didn't use enough oil on the filter so I tried it again with LOTS of oil. We'll see how this turns out after my next ride. If I see more dirt I'll either go back to regular oil or try and find some of the Twin Air Bio oil. I've looked around my area but couldn't find any. I love the easy clean up with No Toil , but it's not worth ruining an engine.

maybe try the spray can of no toil , it can make it easier to get uniform coverage. or quit using uni's i never liked those filters anyways

i know for fact the whole filters covered..spray wont do much i dont think will it? i covered it pretty good this time so ill see after tomorrows race how it held up

yes ive heard this too, however i'd need to buy that stuff by the gallon

No, put the filter in a zip lock bag, pour in some oil. Press the air out of the bag and close it so that the oil's solvent doesn't escape. Now kneed the bag untill all the oil is dispersed, add some if necessary.

4Takt