HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kritter

Valve adjust and harder kicking?

12 posts in this topic

We all saw my valve adjust shenanigans thread...so I get it together enough to fire up today and it seems to kick a bit harder, took a few kicks more to start and seemed like the valves were much noisier then normal.

Intakes are at .006" exh are at .008" I did them to where the next higher size wouldnt fit in so I wouldnt say they are loose. Intakes were initially at .004" prior to adjustment.

Any ideas?

It wasnt this loud prior to adjustment so I dont know why its this loud now...

You sure the decompressor didn't start to engage while adjusting?

Mine usually kicks harder after an adjustment to, or at least it seems that way. As for the noise, where's it seem to be loudest?

By any chance did you also just install a new aluminum skid plate at this time or very recently? If so, you'll hear a lot more noise from the engine than you normally would hear with the stock plastic skid plate or no skid plate installed.

Does it run OK except for the noisy valve train?

We all saw my valve adjust shenanigans thread...so I get it together enough to fire up today and it seems to kick a bit harder, took a few kicks more to start and seemed like the valves were much noisier then normal.

Intakes are at .006" exh are at .008" I did them to where the next higher size wouldnt fit in so I wouldnt say they are loose. Intakes were initially at .004" prior to adjustment.

Any ideas?

Soooooooo... you loosened the valves and now they are making more noise. Weird.

By any chance did you also just install a new aluminum skid plate at this time or very recently? If so, you'll hear a lot more noise from the engine than you normally would hear with the stock plastic skid plate or no skid plate installed.

Does it run OK except for the noisy valve train?

The skid plate is off so I could get the side case cover off to get it to TDC properly...

Soooooooo... you loosened the valves and now they are making more noise. Weird.

Youre tellin me! I adjust my valves on my 450 monthly and Ive never heard a change in valve train noise wether tight or loose.

Any ideas?

Does this happens when hot or cold?Hard starting when hot may be due to the lack of clearance as metal expands and the valves go tight (if tight enough you may loose comp.)Anyways if your valves where at .004"prior to adj.then there was no need to adjust.If you didn't do any other adjustments then you should check the clearances again in case you got them adjusted wrong (it can happen,I mean the TDC marks just a little off by a few degrees can be a difference of a few thou's)The ticking sound means they're loose nonetheless.Justmy2cts. :banana: Dont forgett to let us know of your results as this will hone our troubleshooting knowledge..... :ride:

well I tore the tank off and fired it up...louder. Pulled the caps off and checked...still .006" is that not the spec? I thought it was .006" +/-.001" for intake and .008" +/-.001 for the exh. am I wrong?

You got it right.

Intake = 0.006" +/- 0.001"

Exhaust = 0.008" +/- 0.001"

For best accuracy, make sure your engine is stone cold when checking the clearances. Your flywheel is lined up to the 'T' and not the other mark, yes?

At TDC on the compression stroke, your rocker arms should have a tiny bit of up/down play to them, yes? If not, then something isn't right with the adjustment or alignment of TDC, etc.

switched to a 90 degree feeler gage and one of the exh was too loose...guess I wasnt getting the straight gages in their properly...purrs like a kitten now.

One step closer to being ready to prerun! Thanks for the input guys.