Considering buying a 06 yz450 your opinions please

Hello fellow blue bloods

I currently have an 04 yz450 with all the proper mods to make it a great bike, but here is my question. I am considering buying the 06 yz450, will the differences between my bike and the o6 be enough for me to justify the 7,000 dollar price (Yellow version)? Some of my concerns are: I am 6’2’’ and 200lbs 40-year-old rider, I have heard that the new yz doesn’t accommodate the taller rider as much as the 04 a 05 models. I haven’t been able to test-drive a new model yet. Do you think that I will get goose bumps on my arms with the new yz? My current bike still acts like new due to my maintenance. Do you think I will be faster on the new bike because of the design?

I want to thank you for your replies in advance.

if you pay 7000 for an 06 450 your crazy... :ride:

www.abernathycycles.com

or you could just wait till the 07's come out and MAYBE get EFI

coming off an 06' CRF 450 (stolen) that I was really comfortable with, no problems with the bike, well made, easy to work on, etc. My new YZ 450 is in the shop to get the popping and glitchy throttle taken care of (no amount of rejetting would take care of it) my son's 06' YZ250F needs a new clutch after 6 hours (I believe it's his fault for not having enough slack in the cable) other than that I really like the forks and shock, somewhat better than the CRF I believe, handling is great, front tire is horrible, power band is very strong in the mid and upper RPM's. I feel I can ride it faster than the Honda with better suspension through rough stuff. Motor is great on jump faces, easy to jump another 10 ft with a quick twist. Until I get the thing running right can't say for sure, Honda's work really well....

I'm 6'2", 200# and the '06 YZ450F feels just right to me. I still ride with the stock bars, which some people swap out for the YZ high bend. The new YZ will feel at least 20lbs lighter than your current bike, have more managable power, and much better stock suspension. Your current bike should be plenty fast enough for you unless your name is Chad Reed. The new model is easier to ride though.

Hello fellow blue bloods

I currently have an 04 yz450 with all the proper mods to make it a great bike, but here is my question. I am considering buying the 06 yz450, will the differences between my bike and the o6 be enough for me to justify the 7,000 dollar price (Yellow version)? Some of my concerns are: I am 6’2’’ and 200lbs 40-year-old rider, I have heard that the new yz doesn’t accommodate the taller rider as much as the 04 a 05 models. I haven’t been able to test-drive a new model yet. Do you think that I will get goose bumps on my arms with the new yz? My current bike still acts like new due to my maintenance. Do you think I will be faster on the new bike because of the design?

I want to thank you for your replies in advance.

I have both the 03 and the 06. The 06 is night and day different and better! I am 44 around the same weight and the 06 handles and suspension is tons better. My 06 has made me a faster rider period....and it corners like a slot car. I kept my 03 because it is still a great bike now even better with the 470kit on it..a real dragster!

Plan on buying at least a chain and new handlebars and a skidplate for the 06 to get it rideable...

7000.00 is way too much to pay.....you can find them now for 5800-6300 OTD

althogh i luv the 06, you should wait for the 07 since you already have a nice bike

althogh i luv the 06, you should wait for the 07 since you already have a nice bike

That will be 7000.00! :ride:

They (you know, them) have been saying for years that Yamahas aren't buit for taller riders. I am 6'1" and have ridden Yamis all my life and never felt cramped. I am also "older" (46) and this bike has made me a better rider. I don't know if it's because of the bike or the confidence it inspires but I'm riding faster and jumping further than I ever have! Absolutely the best bike I have ever owned.

I love my bike!!! Cant stop riding it. I know a few guys with the 04s and mine is a lot nicer. I guess you could wait for the 07, but what a lot of people told me was that i would be missing out on one of the greatest bikes ever built. Up to you, i couldnt wait for the 07, but since you have a nice bike you should. Either way, 06 or 07, you should be THRILLED! :ride:

After riding an 05 yz450f I was quite happy to keep my 04yz250f. After riding the 06yz450f I begged,stole & borrowed (not really) to get one. I am 6'1" & 88kg (194lb) have high bend pro tapers & a D756 on the front, the rest is stock. The jetting is pretty close but could go one size up on the pilot jet so that the fuel screw can be screwed in a little more. The best turning, best handling, best powered bike I have ever owned or ridden by a long way. Do your self a favour & buy one.

PS the jetting issure seems to have blown out of proportion & in my opinion is not an issue.

Been riding dirt bikes for 30 something years now. The 06 YZ450F is hands down the best dirt bike I've ever ridden.... bone stock.

Add in some goodies to get it set up for your riding style, body size and terrain....you'll be good to go. Guaranteed!

I am 6'1 35yrs old came of of 03 450. only change needed is taller bars. my new 06 is simply the funnest bike I have ever riden. It is so smooth you would not believe it. I have to tell you it is like riding a BMX bike compared my 03.