Should I get a 650?

I weigh 140 lbs and I am 15 years ole. I have a cr125 that I am heavily modifying for track use and I don't want to use it for the desert due to motor longevity. Would an xr650 be a good desert bike? And yes, I work full time at a machine shop so dont call me a spoiled rich kid.

well first off i think your a bit small i would think a xr400 might even be a bit big for you, for you age size i would go with a xr250

save your money on the 125 mods and just buy a 450 it will do both no problem. you are wasting money on a 125 that you will never be able to get rid of.

well first off i think your a bit small i would think a xr400 might even be a bit big for you, for you age size i would go with a xr250

Ive riddent an xr250 and I hated it. I don't know about an xr400 though. Would that be good?

save your money on the 125 mods and just buy a 450 it will do both no problem. you are wasting money on a 125 that you will never be able to get rid of.

I love the lightness of my 125 and I refuse to get rid of it unless it is to get an 06 yz125. Mabe a 450 would be a good Idea.

And yes I am light but I am 6 feet tall.

Go big young man...there's no replacement for displacement

im 15 (16 in a few days) 140 pounds 6ft as well and the 650R is a blast

damn you guys must be super skinny

I would say that a XR650R is not the right bike for some. I would suggest that you ride one first and see if it is what you are looking for.

And yes, I work full time at a machine shop so dont call me a spoiled rich kid.

But, with a comment like this it sounds like you are ready to take on the world so I would get a XR650R Maybe it will humble you.

I just turned 15 when I got my 650L, I was 6' 170ish pounds.

I weigh only 15lbs more than this kid, he is not to small, it's about how good of shape you're in that will dictate your ability to handle the bike over longer rides.

To the person who asked, the 650R is not only a good desert bike, it is THE desert bike, there is a reason it dominates at Baja. Don't worry about hard starting either, it is about as hard to kickstart as a 250 2-stroke, my KX500 was harder to start.

You will not be displeased with it save for perhaps handling coming off a 125, the 650R has some bulk to it, but it absolutely lives for fast fireroads and sweepers.

I would think a KTM EXC250 or 300 would be good for you. They're 2 strokes that rip pretty hard. Or the old 360 or 380s. Or the 4 stroke 250 race bikes... YZ250F, CRF250R, etc. Even the 450s would be much lighter and carry just as much hit for a kid your size as the 650R.

I love my XR650R, but let's face it.... I know I could more hours on a smaller bike and I'm 6'4" 220. I guess it comes down to what you really want, but why ride a 300 lb bike when you could probably ride just as fast (faster in the tight stuff) on a 450 or even a 250/300. One thing's for certain. Sounds like you have the cajones to race the desert. Good luck.

I got mine 6 months ago and it is a blast. I am 17 years old, 6' 1" 135pds. I handle it very well, although i am fairly experienced. (7-8 years of riding) and the fact i ride dual-sport. I must be in shape becasue i have had it in tight woods and had no problem. I also here people have a hard time picking it up after a crash. Nonsence. i am about as small as a 650 rider comes and i have no problem picking her up. Had to do that once. I would look into a 450 however if you will supermoto it or ride on-road and want a longer lasting bike get the 650R.

Picking it up once isn't a problem. It's when you have to pick it up again........and again........and again...........and again..... :ride:

But at that point, it feels heavy for anyone.

I'd say it depends on what you want to do. Set your goal, then go pick the bike you need to accomplish that goal. And forget about your weight. You'll be fine on it, esp with your experience level. Take the time to get comfortable with the bike, and know how it responds to you. That's the best you can do. And for goodness sakes, STICK A FORK IN YOUR MOUTH! YOU'RE 6 FEET, AND YOU WEIGH 140! EITHER THAT, OR GO GET A JOB AS A MALE MODEL. :banana:

i dont find picking my R up too much of a hassle

I don't recommend you get one my son. You are too young. You will have nothing to look forward to in later life.

they wont be around much longer get one while you can, they have already stopped importing them over here

Ive decided and........................I GETTING ONE. I can't resist myself. Ive always liked the challenge of riding a bigger bike. I could barely reach the pegs on my cr125 when I got it and could barely pick it up. Im not selling it im just not going to ride it as much in the desert to save pistons.

Ok, couple things to remember... The XR won't "coast" like your CR. Compression braking will be way more than you're used to and way more than you think. Just be aware. It will change the way you take sharp corners and down hill whoops (I know you said it was only for desert, but you never know). Also, not sure if you've ever had to kick a big 4 stroke. Watch somebody that knows what they're doing. You can't just thrash away at it like your CR. There's a technique. You'll have to use some restraint on the the throttle. I know your CR has some hit (I used to ride one many moons ago) when it's in the band, but the 650 will have it at 1/4 throttle. Just a blip on an uncorked bike with good traction has nearly bucked me off. On the same note... If you crank on it like you do a 2-smoker you'll be breaking traction all over the place. Concentrate on rolling the throttle not just whackin' it. And for God's sake.... if you get stuck on a hill climb or switch back or whatever, do your wrists a favor..... Let her fall!! She's too big to wrestle with like your CR.

Good luck!!