Newbie looking at a 2000 YZF426

Hi Guys-

Newbie here. I just joined and posted a thread in the general forum about "which bike to buy". After doing more research on this site, I am leaning more heavily to getting this 2000 YZF 426 that is for sale here in Texas. I think I would prefer to get this over an XR 400 or 650 because of the power. I was a little concerned about the weight, but for trail riding and compared to what I have ridden in the past I'm sure it will be great. Also, the 426's reputation (at least on this site) seems to be good-- it appears that this has been a reliable bike with few issues. I am going to look at it this weekend if it is still available. The owner has not raced it; he used it only for trail riding. It hasn't been used much in the past year. He said that he has never had to do much to it except change the oil and oil/air filters regularly and re-packed the muffler. He has added a kickstand and handguards, changed the rear sprocket to 50-tooth, but it is otherwise pretty much stock. I know the 2000's had some clutch issues, and I also know that there is a specific routine to starting these things (sounds like he has not done a hot cam mod). I will see that the clutch feels fine and it starts well and has no other signs of obvious damage; any other things to check? He is asking $2300.

Thanks-

Sam

If it is your first bike, it will hurt you. :banana: These things have enough power to land on a wheelie off a small jump and ride it if you are the least bit out of control. It was my first bike last year, it kept beating me up until I finally broke my wrist, then I bought a 250f, which I am a lot faster on. Trail riding will be okay, but what would happen to me on a track is "whiskey throttle". :busted:

One instance was when I was riding an mx track, got into a series of doubles and kept cracking the throttle when I landed, way out of control, hit the berm at the end of the section, jumped the berm, over a 4 lane section of track, and landed in the parking lot! Would you believe I didn't crash that time? :ride:

The bike is priced right, if it is in good shape, but you are better off spending more money on the right bike than getting hurt.

Make sure the swingarm pivot bearings move smoothly, they will cause a lot of crashes if corroded.

Control your right hand and no bike is too powerful! The 2000 is a great bike and chances are if it is this old all of the issues are resolved (clutch). The only other thing to watch for is the counterbalancer key. Though the Xr's are great bikes they are no where near as refined as the YZF. You will enjoy the bike immensely. I would haggle him down a bit if possible. I see 03 YZF 250's going for 2500 ocassionally. If the trails are tight this will be handful for all but an experienced rider. It shouldnt deter your purchase, just go easy til you are familiar with it.

If it is your first bike, it will hurt you. :banana: These things have enough power to land on a wheelie off a small jump and ride it if you are the least bit out of control. It was my first bike last year, it kept beating me up until I finally broke my wrist, then I bought a 250f, which I am a lot faster on. Trail riding will be okay, but what would happen to me on a track is "whiskey throttle". :busted:

One instance was when I was riding an mx track, got into a series of doubles and kept cracking the throttle when I landed, way out of control, hit the berm at the end of the section, jumped the berm, over a 4 lane section of track, and landed in the parking lot! Would you believe I didn't crash that time? :ride:

The bike is priced right, if it is in good shape, but you are better off spending more money on the right bike than getting hurt.

Squeeze the bike with your legs, this is a much bigger muscle group than your arms. Getting tired will occur less and you wont be falling off of the back, causing the "whiskey throttle". You probably know this but I figured I would remind you.

Make sure the swingarm pivot bearings move smoothly, they will cause a lot of crashes if corroded.

Squeeze the bike harder with your legs. The whiskey throttle will stop as will the arm pump.

Thanks guys. There is also a 2002 near here that has been street-legalized to include a 45-amp stator, baja headlight, brake/taillight, license plate bracket, mirror, horn, kickstand. It otherwise looks bone stock; asking price is 3350. Are there any significant improvements in the 2002 that would make it more desirable than the 2000? I'm only aware of the Ti valves; did the factory clutch get improved by 2002? I wouldn't mind a headlight/taillight; I really couldn't care less to be street legal and would remove the horn/mirror/license plate bracket if I bought this one. I haven't asked what the bottom line price is from either seller yet.

The clutch was cured from 01 on. The counterbalancer got a splined shaft rather than the keyway, swingarm pivots changed size I think and links changed. Also acclerator pump diaphragms differ as does CDI. If you ride out in Lajitas during their annual ride you will want it legal. Make sure it is tight and buy it. The newer model is usually always better.

Well look at both and decide which one has the lowest hours and taken better care of and then if you can't tell a difference decide if you want street legal or not. Horsappl he can handle the bike its no problem at all for a 13 year old to ride one then he certaintly can. do not be afraid of the power just respect it

For a first bike, a 426 may not be an ideal choice but if you take your time and get "trigger happy" it will bite you in the butt. Even though a 426 is a bit heavier than the newer 450's (and you will notice the weight if you ride any of the 450's) it is still a solid bike. I never intended to get rid of my 00, it was a great bike and honestly I wish I still had it. By now the previous owner(s) have probably addressed the clutch issue, but a few things I would seriously suggest are: OEM 450 cam, 01 carb needle, and a good spark arrestor. Any 426 is a good bike, but the 01/02 do have better carb settings, Ti valves, and the updated clutch that the 00 lacks, but if the 00 has been rode less and/or maintained better than the 02 it will make you just as happy. You can't lose either way you go!