HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
feti

Removing bearing seals

4 posts in this topic

Edit: This is an '06 YZ450F

I took off my rear wheel the other night to check the amount of grease in the bearings, in order to regrease properly if needed, and I couldn't get the seals off without what would have been bending and tearing.

Do I need a special tool to remove the seal or is a flathead screwdriver ok to use?

Anything that contacts and applies pressure to the lip of the seal has to be avoided unless it requires very little effort to remove them. If you want to reuse them, a flat bladed tool bent at a right angle that can reach under the seal lip and pry against another part of the seal will work. You can also sometimes work the seal out by using a small screwdriver and prying around the outside of the seal pocket. Otherwise, plan to replace them.

Thanks for the response. Since it obviously doesn't make sense to want to replace the seals very often, how often should I check front and rear axels for wear/grease levels?

Thanks for the response. Since it obviously doesn't make sense to want to replace the seals very often, how often should I check front and rear axels for wear/grease levels?

I recommend doing this just one time, to ensure that there is an adequate amount of grease in the bearings. :ride: