hot hot hot

Hello men, This bike is newto me and I am wondering what you have done to deal with the 426 hot header problem. After riding the other day as I put the bike away I noticed this black melted plastic smear on the header. I didn't know what it was until I got dressed to ride today and saw that my knee pad melted when I bumped up against the bike after the last ride. I know from this forum that they do run hot but I am wondering if engine ice helps or a better water impeller or maybe you just put the header protector on and deal with it. I can't imagine the damage done if I lay this thing down on my leg or some other mishap leads to a brutally painful branding. Any suggestions or stories of third degree burns.

Hello men, This bike is newto me and I am wondering what you have done to deal with the 426 hot header problem. After riding the other day as I put the bike away I noticed this black melted plastic smear on the header. I didn't know what it was until I got dressed to ride today and saw that my knee pad melted when I bumped up against the bike after the last ride. I know from this forum that they do run hot but I am wondering if engine ice helps or a better water impeller or maybe you just put the header protector on and deal with it. I can't imagine the damage done if I lay this thing down on my leg or some other mishap leads to a brutally painful branding. Any suggestions or stories of third degree burns.

No way around the glowing header unfortunatley. No cooling mod will help on the exhaust end of things.

My header story is my girlfriend got stuck on her bike so she was holding mine while I was knee deep in mud. Wellllll, my exhaust shield had fallen of and she melted her new free ride pants on the header. Can we say MMAAAAADDDD!!!! :banana: Then I had to remind her that her stuck was the reason it happened and that the pants did there job and it could have been her leg melted to the header....

It didn't really help the matter at all :ride:

My freind recently burnt his leg on on my header....skin just lsid off his leg, dumbass that he is, wont go to the docter and its infected now and its been 3 weeks

Welcome to the world of performance 4 strokes. Engine ice will help the coolant temp, but will do little or nothing for the exhaust temp. Some people use a header wrap, like the kind used in automotive applications, but I don't see how it would last very long off-road. Using the stock header guard is your best bet. :ride: