HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
liquidcielo

countershaft sprocket play

9 posts in this topic

i've got a 93 L with an aftermarket countershaft sprocket (15) from a previous owner. i have noticed a clanking noise coming from that area and took a peek at it. noticed some play which surprised me. I read here that there should be some play to and from the gear box.

1. am i correct in assuming that the sprocket should move on the splines to and from the gearbox when correctly installed?

2. when i looked closely at the CS i found the splines (inside the retaining ring groove) to widen about a 1/4 " in. in other words, until i pushed the sprocket as far as possible in there was some play on the splines. is this normal.

i appreciate y'all's expert opinion.

darren

I had posted the very same question just a week ago. Everyone tells me it's perfectly normal for the sprocket to have play on the shaft. You just don't want the shaft having play itslef.

Don't worry, go ride!

i've got a 93 L with an aftermarket countershaft sprocket (15) from a previous owner. i have noticed a clanking noise coming from that area and took a peek at it.

darren

Check the chain slack. A clanking or clacking noise can be coming from an overly loose chain. Mine does when it's loosened up and needs adjusting.

A little play in/out should be ok but some play fwd/bckwd is not supossed to be normal as it would damage the splines ( they should glide in easy but with little or no play)either the shaft or the sprocket are showing signs of wear.If you can check a newer bike and compare.The make/model desnt matters.I can't tell you 100% in a bike application but in an industrial application it's not a good sign.You should inquire further.

Oops! forgot to mention.The shaft WILL have some play within the transmision(I mean some play due to the mesh of the gears etc.).......In my opinnion there should be no play between the shaft and the sprocket as long as it's no more than a few thousands. Hope this may help.

Check the chain slack. A clanking or clacking noise can be coming from an overly loose chain. Mine does when it's loosened up and needs adjusting.

Mine too.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. My 01 BRP has in/out play at the countershaft itself. The whole shaft moves in and out of the case about 1/8". I noticed this the night before I took it on a 250 mile dual sport ride. Fortunately I had no problems but I am wondering if this is something that might lead to catastrophic failure. No problems shifting whatsoever, might have been just a little clunkier than usual but really not too noticable unless you knew the bike. Any help from fellow owners greatly appreciated. James