Oil for a 1999 yz400f

It's time to change the oil in my 1999 yz400f, and I am a complete noob when it comes to anything with a 4-stroke.

The owner of the bike before me ran Yamalube 4-R in it. But I have been reading great things about Shell Rotella T in other threads.

Would the Shell oil be sufficent for my 400f? For some reason I am really worried that I will put in the wrong oil, which will make my clutch slip ect.

And which bottle would it be? http://www.rotella.com/products/index.php

Thanks.

I use the Rottela in the white bottle. It works great. Be sure to purchase an owners manual. You have to drain the oil from the frame and the case. I have a 98 yz 400 :ride:

A great place to buy it is Wal-Mart $7 and change per gallon-Shell Rotella T 15w40-comes in quarts, 1 gallon jugs, 5 gallon buckets, and 55 gallon drums (if you ride a lot!)

1 gallon jug has a black cap, white jug, blue lettering and Rotella T will be just fine in your YZ400F! On your link you have posted the oil you want is the top one shown. Congrats and good ridin! :ride:

Be sure to purchase an owners manual

I already have one...But for some reason I could see me putting the wrong oil in and having my clutch slip and what not. Because when it comes to 4-strokes... :banana: (That me lol)

Thanks for the help guys. It is greatly appreciated.

I'll go pick up some Shell Rotella T then. :ride:

What's wrong with Yamalube? It's pretty cheap, and since it's what Yamaha puts in the bikes, you know it's the right stuff. Not that theres anything wrong w/ Rotella.

Nothing is wrong with Yamalube, but the nearest dealer is 30min away, and closed right now.

But my dad is making a trip to buy grocerys right now, and he will stop at Wally world for me and buy 2 gallons of Rotella.