HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SASK_TK

Share your XR650L mods @ 1600 ft asl

4 posts in this topic

I've got a stock '02 XR650L and after 2 months of riding I'm feeling the itch to get what i can out of the beast. I have to smog block off kit, a UNI filter and I'm going to remove to snorkel (all standard stuff I know). I also want to re-jet and put a new spark arrestor pipe (on the quieter side) on. What I want to know is what has worked the best for you guys at approx. this elev. to avoid the trial and error.

I really want more bottom end and do a variety of riding, probably 50/50 on/off road. Is re-jetting a do-it-yourself for the basic back-yard mechanic?

Thanks a Million for any replies!

PS-Has anyone used the Edge 2 Tail Light kit?

I'm not sure what jetting you should use for your elevation, but the mods you describe are a must and should be done ASAP! You'll notice a HUGE difference in your bike. I would suggest using what is known as 'Daves carb mods", uncorking your 'L'. They're tried and proven and will give you better performance from your L, at any elevation!! Search around, these mods have been discussed at length and links to them have appeared in many posts. Start with the recommended jet size( they're cheap), a drill bit, a washer, and go from there. These bikes are very easy to work on, so don't be intimidated, just get a service manual(not necessary for the carb mods), available from you're dealer, and dive in. With the info on this site, and some others, you can do most servicing and maintenance. I can tear my bike down to bits and parts with the small tool kit I carry on my longer trips. The tool kit stays in the truck when in riding with my knobs, dirt only, but rarely gets used for much more than regular maintenance, it is a XR after all!

Getting the carb off is somewhat tricky, but they're tricks that make it easy. For easiest removal, remove seat, tank, side panels, rear brake reservoir and the choke and throttle cables. Removing the exhaust heat guard helps too. It can be done with just removing the side panels, but it's much easier with everything off! Loosen the clamps for the air ducts??, intake and exhaust, pull intake air duct??(it's soft and will move) back towards the rear of the bike, or the air filter(easiest to have someone else do this so you can concentrate on wiggling your carb out), and pull carb out rear brake/right side of bike! Make sure everything is very clean before you start!

All the mods you mentioned can be done yourself, and when you're done, you'll be glad you didn't pay someone else to do it, and you'll know your bike a bit better.

Hope all my rambling has helped a little, just keep searching for more info, it's out there! Shop rates are high and our XR650L's are easy to maintain ourselves.

PM me if you want to talk more about this, I've been through all these mods +, in the past years.

R

'01--lots of mods

All I can say about the mods (uncorking it) is that you end up with a bike that starts easier - warms up faster, has good throttle response (even cold) and pulls like freight train on streroids. Low end thump is improved as is power throughout the RPM range. Twist the grip in second gear at 25 MPH and loft the front end, kinda scary the first time it happened - but WAY FUN! Also cruise effortlessly at 55-60 MPH - just drones...........

I went for the White brothers E-2 pipe btw, nice sound - authorotative yet not obnoxious...

I've got a stock '02 XR650L and after 2 months of riding I'm feeling the itch to get what i can out of the beast. I have to smog block off kit, a UNI filter and I'm going to remove to snorkel (all standard stuff I know). I also want to re-jet and put a new spark arrestor pipe (on the quieter side) on. What I want to know is what has worked the best for you guys at approx. this elev. to avoid the trial and error.

I really want more bottom end and do a variety of riding, probably 50/50 on/off road. Is re-jetting a do-it-yourself for the basic back-yard mechanic?

Thanks a Million for any replies!

PS-Has anyone used the Edge 2 Tail Light kit?

I would go with a 55/158 with Daves mods.