HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maurpra

For new YZ450 06 owners....

15 posts in this topic

I did a search over the forum to find if someone was reporting similar problems but I couldn't find any relevant.

I got few reports from different yammy race teams that the new 06 450 engine has a lot of problems: maintenance has to be extremely frequent; intake valves failures. This last is so evident that I'm hearing that Yamaha EU ran out of 06 valve and some mec. are suggesting to swap back to 05 valves.

Now, not seeing nothing in this forum it sounds me strange as I think EU and USA version are pretty similar than.

Did someone heard something similar or experienced similar problems?

Thanks.

Ichecked my valve clearances at 35 hours and they were within spec. the bike runs flawless, i hit neutral for the first time 2 nights ago....no problems so far and i must have at least 50 hours on it

There have been some as yet not totally explained failures of '06 YZ250F engines that were due to valves breaking, but I haven't heard anyone say that they've had any trouble with a 450 at all.

I did a search over the forum to find if someone was reporting similar problems but I couldn't find any relevant.

I got few reports from different yammy race teams that the new 06 450 engine has a lot of problems: maintenance has to be extremely frequent; intake valves failures. This last is so evident that I'm hearing that Yamaha EU ran out of 06 valve and some mec. are suggesting to swap back to 05 valves.

Now, not seeing nothing in this forum it sounds me strange as I think EU and USA version are pretty similar than.

Thanks.

no this is a first.....no yamaha tech bullitens on this here

I have about 50 hard hours on mine with no problems yet. The bike has been flawless so far.

After six months I see nothing to indicate that the '06 YZ450 is any less bulletproof than any of the previous years.

--KT--

A few 250F's had valve issues. Beyond that Id recheck your info buddy. Sure your not thinking of a Honda? :ride:

I checked an online parts list and the 05 and 06 YZ450F have the same part numbers for the intake valves so I am guess this is BS.

Thanks.

You can always troll Kawasucki and suckzuki forums and empathaze with those poor saps about crappy engine life, horrific QA, and generally unreliable machines.

After all, I'm sure you've blown your CRF up a few times already.

:ride:

Beyond that Id recheck your info buddy. Sure your not thinking of a Honda? :banana:
After all, I'm sure you've blown your CRF up a few times already

I was sure to get some of above. You cannot resist, eh? :busted:

Even if I'm on red side (btw, my 02 CRF450 has still stock valves!) I'm not trying here to dimish any Yamy.

I'm in the aftermarket parts bus. here in Italy and I was quite surprised myself when I first heard those declarations from Yam. reps here. I thought: if it is so evident I should find something on TT. Did search, nothing found as expected so to double check I just placed direct question.

Now you guys demonstrated me that there is no real problem as was the same for previous years versions.

I did a look also to 250F forum and it seems there there is some valve issue but I believe all those 250 thumpers (no matter the color) sooner or later got it.

Anyhow, thanks for the fare answers and I apologize if I've "hurted" some "blue" souls! :ride: My questions were just professionaly related.