HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
feti

Thank You

13 posts in this topic

I've spent the past few nights doing nothing but reading threads on CR and YZ bikes, and you all have (unconciously) helped me make a decision. I'm going to purchase a YZ450F tomorrow morning.

Before I purchase it, I need to know if the bike is ridable (nothing major for the next few weeks) with the stock chain, until I replace it with an x-ring in a couple weeks. I won't be riding it too much yet, because I have a lot around the house I need to finish, but is the stock chain so bad that it can't handle maybe 4 or 5 hours of riding in the next few weeks?

Also, the stock jetting I've read is most likely not going to work. So what I need from you guys is a good resource of where I can get a topography map for my area (North Eastern Ohio), so I can determine my elevation. Once I get that I'll come back here for a quick tip on what jets to run.

Thanks a lot guys for the help!

Edit: I may sound newbie, because I am. I'm coming from a quad (Banshee) world. I realize four strokes are a bit different, so I'm going to grab myself a Clymers manual and ask any specific's here that I can't get answers on.

Glad to hear you're finally going to ditch your training wheels and go riding. :crazy:

Try Terra Server for your topo map (default is an aerial photo, but they show both. Widen out to find your locale, then zoom in).

You're going to be happier with an OEM manual than a Clymer 's. What year are you buying?

When you look for jetting suggestions, look at the Jetting Sticky at the top of the index page.

Welcome aboard - you will luv that 06 YZF -

chain is ok for a ride - Although I would not even use it....

Jetting will be trial and error....I am 170/48 others are 165/45

I ordered one ('06 YZ450F) from Thumpertalk last Monday. It got to Denver on Thursday and I put it together in about an hour on Friday, taking my time. Rode it all weekend!!!

It's an incredible bike. Not sure on the chain issue, I bought one and replaced it before I rode it. That and a bunch of other stuff, but than again I saved about $1,200 compared to what the local dealers wanted to charge with setup, freight, paperwork and sales tax...

Enjoy.

Just check over everything (fluids) because the person preping your bike may want to get off early for a hot date and forget something.

Stock chain will be fine for a little while, you should be good. Im still using mine until it really really gets bad, then I plan on replacing all sprockets and all too.

Stock jetting didn't work for me, I yet have time to work on it (this weekend were moving, so sometime next week after were all settled in).

Check out these: (And I highly reccommend you do these)

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1012822,00.html

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,663693,00.html

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,700369,00.html

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1018579,00.html

The OEM service manual is way better than any clymers manual. It has everything in it you'll ever need concering the bike. I doubt clymers would even have a 06 manual out yet. I rode on my stock chain for about 2 hours before my aftermarket chain arrived, I had no issues.

I would get the chain and jets ordered before going to get the bike though, if I had it to do all over again!

Thanks again guys. I decided to go early and pick it up tonight. I love it. Coming from a Banshee, it's like riding a bull instead of a roadrunner. It's amazing. I'm still a bit amazed at the power, since I never had low-end before. I have to tame it a bit before I release the juice!

Also, due to the shear beast that it is, after it's warmed up for a few minutes and the choke removed, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

Thanks again guys. I decided to go early and pick it up tonight. I love it. Coming from a Banshee, it's like riding a bull instead of a roadrunner. It's amazing. I'm still a bit amazed at the power, since I never had low-end before. I have to tame it a bit before I release the juice!

Also, due to the shear beast that it is, after it's warmed up for a few minutes and the choke removed, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

Glad you like it, now grease it all up with those links I gave you.

It should idle after the choke is gone, you may need to adjust your idle screw (metal one right on side of carb, connected to a hose).

, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

That is one of the good things about 4 strokes. They will idle in gear all day long . You dont have to constantly blip the throttle like you do on a 2 stroke. Just turn the little black knob on the side of your carburator to turn the idle up.

One thing I noticed is the steering. Coming from a quad, it seems a bit different (obviously, please save me the flame). It almost feels like the angle is too much, like I need to adjust the forks so they come up through the clamps a bit more. Does this make any sense or am I just blabbering?