Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RT1000

XR650L=messy oil change

11 posts in this topic

Any body out here have any brilliant ideas on how to keep the oil from running all over the lower frame and skid plate. ...does this when i pull the lower plug and pull the oil filter. I know someone has had the same issues!! :ride: LOL

Also notice the bike took more oil than the manual stated...about 200ml, anybody else find this to be true? :crazy:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

To drain the crankcase I usually take a core from a roll of paper towels, and cut a 45 deg angle on one end. As I get the last few threads pulling the plug I'll have the core sticking up through the hole in the skid plate.

You have to be quick, and still get a little on the plate, but the core fits just tight enough in the skid plate to stay in place. I use a big galvanized livestock feed pan, big enough to drain the frame reservoir and crankcase simultaneously. :crazy:

I don't do ml, I always change the filter too, usually dump in two quarts if they'll fit, start it up and idle for a few minutes, then add whatever it wants. Usually takes 2.5 quarts or so.

I saw a device called a MANFUNNEL sold somewhere on one of the sites. I made my own out of a plastic bucket and some heat to shape it. Have a look around and you will find it. Keeps the oil off the bike completely and works at down tube and side case.

That motor does not take 2.5 qt. of oil,unless you over fill. Put what the manual says to and learn how best to check it.

how about this one... is there any way to drain the oil from the oil filter cavaity before removing the bolts to get to the oil filter... it always seems to be a messy thing

how about this one... is there any way to drain the oil from the oil filter cavaity before removing the bolts to get to the oil filter... it always seems to be a messy thing

ya just gotta lean the bike waaay off to the right, then its not so bad.

Dave

You could hook up a fitting with a valve but then it would be vulnerable and slow the process.Anyway spare the same day for cleaning the bike....

ya just gotta lean the bike waaay off to the right, then its not so bad.

Dave

that trick worked fine with my 250f's and 450f's but this bike poured oil all over the place when i took it off. really caught me off guard. there are a couple bolts that look like they may drain it from there but i don't want to try it without knowing for sure it would work

That motor does not take 2.5 qt. of oil,unless you over fill. Put what the manual says to and learn how best to check it.

Actually you are dead wrong there. Mine took 2.4 to 2.5 quarts when I changed the filter.

Actually you are dead wrong there. Mine took 2.4 to 2.5 quarts when I changed the filter.

For once I agree. I change my oil when it's real Hot, lean the bike way over and 2 quarts is never enough to fill it. I put in 1 quart, start it up, add 2nd quart check again and it always take another 1/4 - 1/2 qt to bring it up to full when properly checking the dip stick. If you thread the dip stick in it'll read full @ 2qts but that's not the correct reading.