crf650x

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy a used XR650R for $3000, get $600 in suspension and $1500 in engine work (680 kit) from Barnums or PC, another $1000 in extras (pegs, pipe, carb, bars, etc), and you've got one hell of a nice race-ready bike for less than a new bike and good for several thousand miles before a teardown (something a big-bore CRF has yet to achieve).

you've got one hell of a nice race-ready bike for less than a new bike and good for several thousand miles before a teardown (something a big-bore CRF has yet to achieve).
There IS no big bore CRF. That's why many are curious about the rumoured new 600. 450's are "middleweights" afterall! :crazy:

I like the tank mod... think it would be good for tight woods racing or hitting the MX track. Nothing like getting a holeshot on a punched out XR 680 :crazy: Heck.. I could race a 2 hour harescrambles on my old CRF with the stock tank without stopping, I think I could go two hours in tight woods with that aluminum tank on my 650. $600 to look cool... Just think how much we spend on everything else on our bikes to make it bling and ride better.

best thing is that my 650 is paid for.. not like I need to shell out another $5K on another bike. I'll just have a $1000 of gas tanks to switch around for the day's riding

MX/HS racing: cool tricked out aluminum

Short dual sport/play riding: Stock

Longer day rides: IMS

adventure rides: Acerbis Sahara.

Besides that... play with the clickers, change front/rear sprocket and go :ride:

Heres the rumors:

CRF600X will be 570cc. Dirt bike only. Its a stroked CRF450X. It might not be released in the USA first year so they can work the bugs out.

XR 650R will get electric start and a license plate.

650L will be discontinued.

It will all be anounced late summer at the Honda dealers meeting.

No i havent ridden one. No i dont know for certain. Just sharing the rumors in the SoCal world. Take it for what its worth--about 2 pesos!

Heres the rumors:

CRF600X will be 570cc. Dirt bike only. Its a stroked CRF450X. It might not be released in the USA first year so they can work the bugs out.

XR 650R will get electric start and a license plate.

650L will be discontinued.

It will all be anounced late summer at the Honda dealers meeting.

No i havent ridden one. No i dont know for certain. Just sharing the rumors in the SoCal world. Take it for what its worth--about 2 pesos!

Jesus Mikey you love throwing the bickies out dont ya!!!

E start 650 - what will that weigh? Great idea.

Interesting about the 600X if true. AFAIK Falicon have taken 450s to 525cc without a frame mod. Going to 570 doesnt seem like such a bad step and would only require small increase in frame size.

Can any gurus offer any info on the general engine dynamic of 450 v 570 c 650? (why 570 is chosen)

Eg can you/would you make a high revving 650 for example?

Can any gurus offer any info on the general engine dynamic of 450 v 570 c 650? (why 570 is chosen)

Eg can you/would you make a high revving 650 for example?

Not a guru, but my guess is that probably 570 since stroking a 450 can only reasonably get to 570cc's? I bet the bore can't get much larger in diameter since the engineers probably made the cylinder as light as possible already, so stroking is the only other option for size increase? Maybe the head plays a part in the increase, too, but it may have already been weight-optimized at 450cc's as well. This is all in the context of using the existing 450cc block/head.

Stroking increases displacement, but goes backwards as far as if high-revolutions are your goal. Most high-rev engines are short stroke.

It'd be low-end torqey-er at 570 though.

There are bolt on kits to make the 450 a 488 or 500 ish so going stroking will bring it up to the late 500 early 600,the slipper piston height may be an issue.

Longevity is the thing though,also the unicam thing is suspect over time.

I think they will go with a new top end design sorta half way between an xr and a crf.

Even being way off base i hope something is happening.