HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XR_mad

how long can coolant sit need answer asap

13 posts in this topic

its been in the bottle for about a year or so, the bottle has been opened once or twice, is it still safe to use?

I've got some cooant in my 1983 Ford van that has been in the bottles since about 1983. My dad and I pre mixed the bottles with 50/50 Prestone antifreeze and Distilled de-ionized water. I cracked them open in 2002 to make sure it still looked okay. It did.

23 years ago... wow..

its been in the bottle for about a year or so, the bottle has been opened once or twice, is it still safe to use?

considering the minimal price of coolant, if you are worried, chuck it and buy some new stuff.

It's not like brake fluid, which should not be left laying around after being opened because it collects condensation.

Coolant lasts.

its good until it no longer has the ability to absorb the heat from the metal of the cylinder and head and disapate it thru the radiator factualy speaking but not to be mistaken for good coolant in a system that either the metal of the cylinder or of the radiator no longer have the ability to transfer heat in either direction. or if it aint lubeing the water pump (im guessing)

thanks everyone, well i opened up the thermostat housing and it was stuck open so i chucked in the new one and the coolent looked and smelt fresh so i used it

llooks are important smells rank at the top also but put a blindfold on with a big old fasion cloths pin on ur nose and ya have to taste it to really know so take a drink or 2 swiss it around like a vetren wine taster if you die within the hour coolant is excelent 2 to 4 hours till death 50% dont kill ya but puts a hurt on ya in a irreversible kinda way weak and should be replaced although im just guessing again

that question required ten answers ?? ..... what has happened to this Forum ? .. :crazy:

llooks are important smells rank at the top also but put a blindfold on with a big old fasion cloths pin on ur nose and ya have to taste it to really know so take a drink or 2 swiss it around like a vetren wine taster if you die within the hour coolant is excelent 2 to 4 hours till death 50% dont kill ya but puts a hurt on ya in a irreversible kinda way weak and should be replaced although im just guessing again

go back to grade school ... learn the language ... :crazy: