HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
philipstjohn

XR600R Stock/modified? What should you do?

7 posts in this topic

if everything feels right to you, then why bother? Maybe set the suspension up for your weight.

i had a 94 model with the following:

flat slide 42mm mukiuni cab

630 bore kit

cr 500 suspension and upside down fork legs/

cr 500 fork triple tree's

oversized disk

full exaust and header pipe

KTM gaurds

and alot of other little bits and peices

you can go mad ,b but if your happy with the bike how it is now, save the bucks for an update down the track some time, the XR's are never going to compete in the handling and weight stakes with the newer 4 strokers, mine had plenty f power but it just didn't have that wind on wheelie value of the KTM im now on

i bopught the XR set up already of a guy pretty cheaply, so i rode it for 12months to save up for the bike i know own:)

if you have to do a mod, i would recomend it to be a suspension mod, the cr 500 shocks wrere a good thing, but im sure there would be a cheaper suspension mod to do..maybe a new can or deristrict the originl pipe to

here's a piccy of the old girl, i sold it to a freind so i still get to ride it every now and then

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/raven525exc/myxr600_002.jpg

The choke plate is a weak link. It has a steel flapper that can break off and get sucked into the engine. On my XR600 it was about to break, and the entire choke plate had a big crack in it. There are aftermarket replacement plates available. I just took my choke out completely. Some issues on real cold days, but I have a procedure for that now. Tip bike over until it "floods" then start.

Remove the intake snorkle, if it is still there. If it has not been rejetted, a larger pilot can make for easier starting. A larger main will help for top end power.

Handguards can be a wonderful addition.

Suspension upgrades. Springs that match your weight, unless you weigh the 170 pounds the stockers are made for.

The choke plate is a weak link. It has a steel flapper that can break off and get sucked into the engine. On my XR600 it was about to break, and the entire choke plate had a big crack in it. There are aftermarket replacement plates available. I just took my choke out completely. Some issues on real cold days, but I have a procedure for that now. Tip bike over until it "floods" then start.

Remove the intake snorkle, if it is still there. If it has not been rejetted, a larger pilot can make for easier starting. A larger main will help for top end power.

Handguards can be a wonderful addition.

Suspension upgrades. Springs that match your weight, unless you weigh the 170 pounds the stockers are made for.

well im 6' 1" and weigh 170-180 that would mean the stock suspension is perfect for me?

properly jetting the carb is a very good mod ... the bikes come drastically lean from the factory ... re-jetting not only increases performance, but will result in a much cooler-running engine, ... :crazy:

well im 6' 1" and weigh 170-180 that would mean the stock suspension is perfect for me?

Perfect, um I doubt it. At least it's in the ball park. XR600's are known to be well under sprung. It's not suspended for a MX track. I'm around 260 and the stock springs are not even close to what I need for trail riding. It really all depends on rider preference. If you are an aggressive rider you might benefit from stiffer springs , even though you weigh about what Honda designed the suspension for. It also depends on what kind of riding conditions you experience.