HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3rdcoast

crankcase oil seal 03 yz450

5 posts in this topic

(search function not working)

trying to replace crankcase oil seal (just inside sprocket), how do I get the old one off and replace with the new one? I took the two bolts off the first cover. Is there an easy way to POP it out of there?

03 yz450f

thanks,

Erik

Hi,

This is usually done when you have splitted cases already.

There is a collar you have to pull out and then bent an ods screwdriver or something so that the tip is in a 90 degree angle. Then just yank it off.

Timo Mc

(search function not working)

trying to replace crankcase oil seal (just inside sprocket), how do I get the old one off and replace with the new one? I took the two bolts off the first cover. Is there an easy way to POP it out of there?

03 yz450f

thanks,

Erik

Don't listen to that dude.

You don't have to split the cases.

Get a small screwdriver and PRY it out. It's pretty easy, just be careful and don't scratch up the shaft or the case.

Be sure and clean the area up really thoroughly.

Easier yet. Screw a drywall screw into the seal and remove with pliers.

Or you can do as suggested and drive a screw driver into it and pry it out.

It is easier if you remove the collar that is separate form the shaft first. Make sure the o-ring under the collar is in good shape.

Pry it out as MotoGoalie said. I just replaced my seal there about 2 weeks ago. Used a small screw driver and worked the seal out. You can easily get it out without damaging the case.