HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HawkGT

XR650R temp guage

7 posts in this topic

Anyone ever put a water temp guage on thier 650R? I was thinking about one of these:

temp82B2.jpg

I figure the thermostat housing could pretty easily be drilled and tapped for the sensor. Or maybe there would be a better way?

Hawk,

Wait till the Vapor comes out from Trailtech. It has a temp. guage and speedo built into one unit. I have my name on the list for one when they come out. Tony

Hawk,

Wait till the Vapor comes out from Trailtech. It has a temp. guage and speedo built into one unit. I have my name on the list for one when they come out. Tony

I'll wait for your forthcoming report!

Do you know if the temp guage is a water temp sensor or a cylinder head temp sensor (the kind where the sensor looks like a wired eyelet that goes under the spark plug)?

acc_cht_10_14_small_160x130.jpg

From what I have seen from them it is a water temp senser. They have a fitting that will go inline that will be specific for each bike that the kit goes for. I have a picture at home. I spoke with one of the employees that works there.

While you wait for the gauge you want why not try some of those pro circuit temp strips that go right on your cylinder?

Yeah, years ago I temporarily installed temperature sensors for both oil and water and datalogged the temperatures for a number of rides while investigating the use of Evans coolant in my bikes.

For oil temperature, I drilled & tapped a plug that screwed into the left frame in place of one of the two large allen head frame plugs. Don't modify your stock allen head plug because Honda does not sell this item seperately and you must buy a new frame to get these plugs.

For water temperatures, I drilled & tapped the water pump housing. If you look at the water pump housing, you'll notice a nice boss on it just as if it were made for this purpose. Perhaps somebody at Honda or the vendor they buy this item through had this on their mind when they designed this piece :crazy:.