85 XL600R wont start hot

hi i have a 85 Xl600r and it starts cold just fine but when it's hot or if i wreck it in the dirt it just doesnt want to start you have to let it sit for a while then it will start please if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know

my leg is really hurting kicking it LOL

thank you

Check valve clearances...

I agree sounds like valves need adjusted

Wow your bike is 21 years old!! im impressed, as i just got a new honda....these bikes really are bulletproof it seems.

how many miles do you have on it......

hi i have a 85 Xl600r and it starts cold just fine but when it's hot or if i wreck it in the dirt it just doesnt want to start you have to let it sit for a while then it will start please if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know

my leg is really hurting kicking it LOL

thank you

sounds like the classic hot start button issue and alway kick from just after TDC on compression stroke.

Try this next time you stall it or its hot, or just whenever it seems hard to start.

if equiped hold the compression release open enough to easy kick over, hold the throttle wide open, kick is thru like 5 times, then quickly get just pass TDC and give her hell with no throttle, it should start right up , if not or you took too long to kick after clearing it, repeat. It works well.

what happens when its hot is that the air fuel charge evaporates quicker than it can fire, by kicking it thru it helps by getting some cooler air and more fuel to the cylinder. lets us know what works